[solved] is it possible to mail merge between outlook and excel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ubamous3

hi,

i know how to do a mail merge between word and an excel database, but i dont know if it's possible to merge info between outlook (or OE) and an excel database.

please help.

thank you.

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
Which way are you trying to merge? From Excel to Outlook or from Outlook to Excel?

ubamous3

hi,

thanks for responding

i guess u'd say i'm trying to merge the excel list into OE; like i'm trying to send out a personalized email to a large list of media (dear first name instead of to just dear editors);it'd be nice if i can basically have the program merge that info so that i wont have to do it manually; it's not too bad but if u have a big list, it can be time consuming

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
I can tell you how I'd do it but I don't guarantee it's the best way or that it will work using OE. It works for me using Office 2000. What I would do is type the email in Word with merge fields. Use the form letter as your merge doc and the Excel spreadsheet as your data source. Then, instead of choosing Merge to New Document, choose Merge to Electronic Mail. NOTE: I haven't done this in a few years but if I remember correctly, when it merges to email it SENDS the email before you even get a chance to preview it. You might want to test it with your own email address first before you merge in the entire list just to make sure it works and that it works the way you want it to. In fact, I'd try it with your own email and either an alternate account or a friend's account so you can make sure it works with more than one name and address. Hope this is helpful.

ubamous3

hmm, interesting; so it sends mail from the desktop or from word instead of via a typical email client; i def. will try that (using my address first of course; but i'm just anticipating how word will know which email account to send from if i have more than 1 account; i guess that it assumes to use the default acct which i can switch around for my purpose here.

Thanks a lot!! :)

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
I didn't read your thread carefully enough but it just occurred to me that you may be using this for spam. I'll PM a moderator and ask them to remove my comments if they think it's appropriate.

ubamous3

oh no, dont worry; this is not spam!! honestly, I am sending this to media people ; that's part of my job; not spamming

thank u for your help, and dont worry; that knowledge i gained today is for good use, not bad at all

ubamous3

yes, that is very true :) but i take my words seriously , so me no spammer :)

ubamous3

i just tried it and it works like a charm; saves me couple hours of work if i were to do it manually. Thanks al ot wendym :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online