1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is it possible to merge 2 Word documents and retain their individual index structures

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by TP24, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TP24

TP24 Thread Starter

Is it possible to merge 2 Word documents and retain their individual index structures? Basically make a master index or table of contents which should retain the links from the original 2 separate table of contents and link to the corresponding pages without having to make any changes in the final merged document.

2. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum. Have you looked into making a Master document? This will link to the data in the two documents and whenever it is updated update it in the master as well. It is very handy when multiple people are collaborating on one main report/document/newsletter. If you need further assistance with this feel free to let me know.

3. TP24

TP24 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the help!! Appreciate it a lot.

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Not a problem can you please mark this thread as solved via the "Thread tools" drop-down list at the top of the thread.

5. TP24

TP24 Thread Starter

Ah, ok you were looking for something like a stylesheet? Or a certain formatting look and feel? If this is the case I can point you to a couple things that might help.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TP24
    I thought you had sent a link..anyhow it seems that Microsoft Word can store only one set of formatting changes at a time,
    according to the link given below.

You would have to click on the + sign under the Merging Documents section to open the relevant topic.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...889601033.aspx

The only possible solution seems would be to insert each page manually at a time.

Thanx a lot for welcoming me to these forums..

6. TP24

TP24 Thread Starter

Have you looked into using versions to save different looks and feels of the documents? These are like drafts within one file. You can access file versions from "File">>"Versions." You can also use styles to provide set formatting. If you wanted different sets of styles just save them in another document and then import them into the file to switch between the different looks and feels. Finally if you want to switch between different looks and feels you can do this by turning on track changes, then changing your user information. As you make changes to the document it will show the track changes which is what you were looking for. To then switch between the different looks and feels you can accept all the changes that you have made via that user information's name. IF any of this does not make sense or you want to pursue it further post in the thread you started and I will reply to it with exact steps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TP24
    Yes...surely please give me any tips regarding the same..any advice would be highly appreciated..thanx a lot again

7. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Which one are you wanting me to elaborate on?

8. TP24

TP24 Thread Starter

Hi,
    this part was not very clear to me..

"Finally if you want to switch between different looks and feels you can do this by turning on track changes, then changing your user information. As you make changes to the document it will show the track changes which is what you were looking for."

Cheers!!

9. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    The changes that you have made are based upon your user information. So if you go to "Tools">>"Options">>"User Information" then you can change your user name. With track changes turned on you can basically show or hide the different changes you have made via the "Reviewing" toolbar. You want to click on the "show" button then "reviewers" and check off what so-called reviewer you want to see.

10. TP24

TP24 Thread Starter

Yup..thanx again am working on it....willl let you know if it worked out

Cheers!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!