1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is it possible to run McAfee Security Center and Kaspersky Free Anti-Virus?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by worrieddad39, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. worrieddad39

worrieddad39 Thread Starter

I was wondering if I disabled the Anti-Virus protection on McAfee Security Center would Kaspersky install and run properly?

Also does Kaspersky Anti-Virus run in the back ground like McAfee would?

Reason I am asking this is because I recently was attacked by trojans, and McAfee did not pick up a single one, and Kaspersky online scanner picked up three...

Thanks for you suggestions and help.

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

It IS possible, but not recommended. Running multiple AV products can cause conflicts and seriously affects your computer's performance. I would suggest dumping McAfee for sure, and using either Kapersky, AVG Free, or Avast as your antivirus, but also run one or more of these anti-spyware products:

Malware Bytes
    SuperAnti-Spyware
    SpyBot Search and Destroy

The first two of these anti-spyware products are free IF you update and scan manually, and both can be purchased and will update and scan automatically under the paid versions.

Oh, and use Firefox or Google Chrome as your primary browser instead of IE.

Good luck.

3. worrieddad39

Thank you for the reply.

I figured as much from reading over these forums that the two would not work together.

After using Kaspersky today and finding out it found things McAfee missed I am diffidently considering the switch to Kaspersky.

I already use MalwareBytes, and Super-Anti Spyware and those work great.

And also use FireFox.

Thanks again.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Stick with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.41 and SUPERAntiSpyware 4.29.0.1002, run their update function at least once a week, then do a "quick scan" with them, then select and allow them to fix EVERYTHING they find.

Doing this will go a long ways in keeping malware, spyware, etc. in check. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

You want a full-time anti-virus program installed and running in the background.

Don't rely on an on-line anti-virus scanner because it offers no "real time" monitoring and protection.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. worrieddad39

Ok thank you for your suggestions.

Yes I would like to get Kaspersky Internet Suite. I am disappointed in McAfee's ability to find what was on my computer.

Thanks

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Don't expect and rely on an anti-virus program to find EVERYTHING. That's why you also want to use a couple of good anti-malware/anti-spyware programs.

I can't comment on Kaspersky because I've never used it. I stopped using McAfee and Norton several years ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. worrieddad39

For sure. I understand that. I have always had a couple of programs either for malware and viruses. But with my recent problems and McAfee not catching anything I am going to make my full time Anti-Virus Kaspersky, and continue to use Malwarebytes, and super spy-ware.

Thank you for all of you input.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

9. helpmerick

helpmerick

Totally agree on giving up on Norton and McAfee, but I have several clients who successfully use Kapersky. Runs pretty lean and protects well.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice