1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is it safe to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or safer NOT to do so?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Saussure, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

My computer is about 7 months old. It is a Sony-Vaio laptop running on Windows Vista Home Premium, with all the latest Windows Update packs - except for Service Pack 1. I was notified only today via Windows Update that I could download it - I wasn't notified earlier. Anyway, I am not at all sure whether I should install SP1. I have read nightmarish stories about SP1 crippling computers so that they couldn't be booted, or that they functioned worse than before. Am I better off without SP1? And why did Windows Update notify me only now? I thought Service Pack 1 had been released in April 2008...? Also, the publishing the date of the service pack is indicated as 9th September 2008 on Windows Update. *confused look*

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    SP1 was released at first only in a few languages and for PCs that did not have known incompatibilities. I, for example, did not get notice for about a month--apparently some driver that became available at that time. So, I would assume, some driver just recently got updated and made you compatible.

Most people did not notice any particular difference with SP1, some reported better performance, and some had problems. Wanna guess which ones did most of the posting about their experience? :)

3. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

The ones with the problems? :) So am I more secure without SP1 or without it? What are the general reviews on the service pack?
    The only thing that got updated today was Norton Internet Security 2007. I wonder if I only got the notification because Windows Update was waiting for Symantec to get a move on...? Anyway, all I need to know is whether I am more secure with SP1 or if there's no difference at all. I cannot afford to cripple this computer since my father bought it for me. Also, it is a Chinese or Asia-specific model (bought in Hong Kong; model is VGN-FZ25G), so I'm not sure about compatibility.

4. Classics

Classics

Installing SP1 is fairly safe, the only problem is if you power down your computer while it is installing.
    The only real advantage I have found with it is DX10, but if you are not running any DX10 games, and not having any issues with your computer then don't bother.

On a side note, Norton is not a very good program. I used it for a long time, and it never blocked any virus', and it eats up a lot of system resources. Try "Avast!" it has served me much better and is free.

5. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

In that, case I won't bother with installing SP1. I don't play any computer games. Well, my version of Norton is actually a bit TOO sensitive. It actually identified Corel's Intervideo as a hacktool, of all things. Symantec then corrected this false positive in a later update. Anyway, I do not surf that much...the only "risky" activity I do is paying bills via e-banking (encrypted connection). Thanks for your time and answer.

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

SP1 is safe, in fact, it is recommended. At some point, perhaps now, you will be unable to apply security fixes and enhancments without it.

7. mrss

mrss Guest

One reason you didn't get an earlier upgrade notice is that Microsoft checks for driver compatibility first. My laptop wasn't OK'ed for SP1 until last July. I thought I was missing all the Vista SP1 fun, but there was little difference. My laptop does boot 10 seconds faster though. I had that benchmarked.

That is one point in its favor ...Microsoft now looks for better compatibility before forging ahead.

Doesn't mean it still won't bomb out though.

8. ChuckE

ChuckE

Since there were some, perhaps many, security fixes in Vista-SP1, and going to some web locations that utilize software that is trying to "break into" your computer by accessing those now-known security holes ...

do you think it is safe to NOT install Vista-SP1?

All Windows security updates are recommended on the day of their issuance. Not getting them that day exposes you to the "zero day exploits." That is where the virus/bug writers, who now have been notified (by Microsoft) of a security issue, and what to do about it, now write a virus in hopes to catch those people who do not get those same recommended security patches.

9. Oily

Oily

I have run SP1 even before it was officially released and had no problems what so ever....if you want to keep your PC up to date with the latest fixes then install it or just stick with what you have.

10. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Erm, in that case, I'll download SP1. I do believe, however, that there can be problems with certain sound card models? Mine is Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC (that's what it says under the "sound" panel under "system"). Anyway...I'll set a restore point and keep my fingers and toes crossed.

11. Classics

Classics

Sigma Tel just released a new driver, it should be compatible with SP1.
    Make sure you don't power down the computer until the install is complete or you will brick your system, thats the only worry.

12. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Will the Sigma Tel driver update itself automatically? How can I test whether I've got the latest version? Power down? You mean, remove the cable which supplies the battery pack with power? That's plugged in all the time. And what is "brick the system" mean? :) Sorry, I'm not familiar with all these techie terms. I've also got Norton Internet Security 2007 on my system. I'll leave it on during the install, and I've also just created a restore point in case...erm...someting goes awry...

13. True Bassist

True Bassist

To brick your computer - Your computer will not work as it is now a useless brick because it was interupted during a software or firmware upgrade.

That's basically what it means =] If you go to the Sigma Tel website and you have download the latest driver, installed it and nothing is going wrong then you are fine.
    Power down, literally means turning off your PC...something you make sure never happens when updating to a new SP as your PC will then become a very expensive paper weight.

I wouldn't use Norton Anymore as I find it annoying and unsecure...use AVG Free instead with Windows Defender, Firewall and Spybot. However, if you have had no problems yet and you are happy with your security, don't worry about changing.

Ben

14. Classics

Classics

As True Bassist said, To Brick is to turn your Expensive Computer into a Common Brick because it wont work anymore.
    I cant stress enough how important it is not to turn off your computer in any way (Unplug, Restart, Power down, or have a power outage)
    It will make your computer unbootable and a restore point will do nothing, you will have to completely reinstall windows.

I don't mean to sound like the doomsday guy on the side of the street scaring you, but it is important. I lost all my data because I had a power outage. But the chances of that happening are so low that it could only happen to me.:)
    Backing up all important data is a good idea, though you should be able to get all the data off the drive if all goes bad, but its easier to have a hard backup.

15. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Okay. I also viewed my update history and discovered that the attempt to install SP1 had failed twice. Once because I cancelled it, and one other time. The latter has the following error code/number, and I have no idea what it means:
    I suspect that it is because there was another update - a security update for Windows Vista - which was being downloaded alongside it. That one got installed without any problems. I don't even know if SP1 was actually downloaded along with that security update, or if it simply remained in the queue while the security update got donwloaded and installed first.
    Can anyone tell me how long the installation process of SP1 takes approximately (minus the download time)?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!