1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is it safe to run 3.5v on the 3.3v Rail?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack-o-bytes, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hey everyone, Recently my PSU has been giving out 3.5v on the 3.3v rail. It varies between 3.44v and 3.49v and I was wondering if I am OK to use the computer until I get a new PSU. I know it has been putting 3.4v on the 3.3v rail for a long time now and I have never had any problems. The 12v runs at 12.05v almost all the time and the 5v is usually about 5.08v around that area. Does anyone know what the 3.3v runs? Do you think it is safe doing this until I get a new PSU or manage to re-solder the transformer that is causing the issue due to being a bit loose?

Thanks for any input, Jack-O-Bytes

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As long as the pw supply is not failing, I doubt you would do any damage by running @3.5V. If the voltage fluctuation is caused by a failing pw supply, then that is a different issue.

Note it is generally accepted that voltage within 10% is OK; you are still within that window.

3. jack-o-bytes

Well the fluctiation isn't really that bad it goes up and down by about 0.3v every 20 seconds or so but I have checked the RAM voltage and that stays pretty still at about 1.9v (I did try putting it to 1.8v because that is what I thought it was supposed to be but the computer kept freezing so I raised it again)

Thanks for the input, Jack-O-Bytes

4. managed

managed Allan

How are you measuring the voltages ?

5. jack-o-bytes

I have CPUID hardware monitor installed but I also used a B&Q multimeter to check it as well and it read the same around 3.44-3.50v so I am guessing that the program is pretty accurate?

Jack-O-Bytes

6. managed

managed Allan

Yes it looks fine, you could check voltages in the Bios as well but as mentioned by crjdriver you are well within 10% of 3.3 Volts.

7. jack-o-bytes

Thanks guys :) much appreciated.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008486