Solved: Is it safe to use wireless in a thunderstorm?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

happychic

Hi All,

Just wondering if its safe to use wireless when there is a storm. And is it safe to use a computer, if so what sort of precautions can I take?

This might sound dumb, but i have got so many different opinions from other ppl, I thought I might ask on here.

Thanks

Hi All,

Just wondering if its safe to use wireless when there is a storm.
YEP

And is it safe to use a computer, if so what sort of precautions can I take?
DON'T SIT ON THE WIRELESS ROUTER
OR PLUG IN THE POWER ADAPTER...
ALSO DON'T STAND OUTSIDE

I think you covered everything, Happyrck. That should make Happychic happy.

It might be safe to be on wireless but it certainly is not safe to leave the router and the modem on that provides the wireless signal. Most storm damage involves power surges through the cable or phone line that blast the router and the pc connected by wire rendering one of the other or both useless.

and that is also true for the tv .....refrigerator.... stereo and any other appliance plugged into the wall and running...the tv is still running even when turned off because of the remote control unit inside always has power to it like a motherboard in a computer

happychic

Thank you for all your help.

Hey and dont' you like my nic?:) I could always change it to nottoclever...:(

TC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online