1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is it safe to use wireless in a thunderstorm?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by happychic, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. happychic

happychic Thread Starter

Hi All,

Just wondering if its safe to use wireless when there is a storm. And is it safe to use a computer, if so what sort of precautions can I take?

This might sound dumb, but i have got so many different opinions from other ppl, I thought I might ask on here.

Thanks

2. happyrck

happyrck

3. smeegle

smeegle

I think you covered everything, Happyrck. That should make Happychic happy.

4. happyrck

happyrck

should make her happyIER...:D

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

It might be safe to be on wireless but it certainly is not safe to leave the router and the modem on that provides the wireless signal. Most storm damage involves power surges through the cable or phone line that blast the router and the pc connected by wire rendering one of the other or both useless.

6. happyrck

happyrck

and that is also true for the tv .....refrigerator.... stereo and any other appliance plugged into the wall and running...the tv is still running even when turned off because of the remote control unit inside always has power to it like a motherboard in a computer

7. happychic

happychic Thread Starter

Thank you for all your help.

Hey and dont' you like my nic?:) I could always change it to nottoclever...:(

TC

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!