1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is it Vista or Norton that's preventing me from getting to the Internet?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by mlmeredith, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlmeredith

mlmeredith Thread Starter

My first warning that something was wrong came two weeks ago. Everything was fine with my Sony Vaio notebook until I got my first Microsoft Vista update, then network connectivity got hosed. I used system restore to put things back and then installed the Vista update with Norton disabled. Life was once again good.

Foolishly, I forgot to change the flag that would prevent any more auto updates to run without notification. The next one came down the pipe, and after the machine rebooted, Internet connectivity (even within my home network) shot craps. This time system restore couldn't fix it. I've tried that and get a message saying that the restore point is damaged.

So the Vaio works fine in every respect except for connecting to the network. I have excellent signal from the router and ethernet wire, but get "page not found" whenever I bring up Explorer. Safari gets the same frustrating result. I've uninstalled Norton, on the assumption that that was hosing things, however it didn't fix things. And Sony's diagnostics (and almost every other diagnostic) needs network connection to do any good. The usual repair connection that Vista offers doesn't help either.

Does anyone have any ideas that I can try?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Can you run "ipconfig /all" from the command prompt and let us see how the network is configured?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice