1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is My Computer Dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GordRocks, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

I turned off my computer last night and everything was fine. Tonight, I switched it back on and the fans run, the indicator light shows that it should be on and that's it. Nothing!! If I turn on the monitor it says No Signal!
    I don't even get the option to enter the bios! I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. Can anyone give me a hint what to do. It doesn't seem to be even trying to access the hard drives. The temperature monitors show that the temperature on the CPU is fluctuating about the same amount as it usually does at idle. HELP PLEASE!!!!
    Thanks in advance.

.....Gord

2. reality6337

reality6337

when you turn on your computer does the caps lock light flash?

3. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

I'm using a Cordless Microsoft Natural Keyboard and it does not have a CapLock light.

4. reality6337

reality6337

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

No beeps? Try reseating the video card first.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your reciever should have the lights.

Any beeps from the computer? Open up the computer and see if any fans or LEDS are on. You can also try using the Clear CMOS jumper to clear the BIOS settings. Check teh motherboard manual for the location and use of this jumper. Maybe reseat the RAM and Video card to make sure there's good contact in the slots.

7. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

I've reseated the video card and it made no difference. One thing I didn't notice before: when I turn the computer on there is usually a beep shortly after switching it on. This does not happen now. The fans do run and the LEDs on the front show that there is power and the HDD LED is on but I don't think I hear the HDD turning; I can't be sure the; fans are very loud.

.....Gord

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It might very well be that the power supply has partially failed, it happens all the time. Do you have another power supply to swap into it to test?

9. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

No, I don't have another power supply. I disconnected the ATX power cable and checked the voltage on the wires. I have approximately 4.5 volts on the GREEN & PURPLE wires and nothing on the others. Is this normal? The power supply is an ASPIRE ATX SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY. MODEL: ATX-AS500W

Can anyone tell me if there should be voltage on the other wires in that cable? If so, does this indicate that the power supply is shot? Thanks.

.....Gord

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The Power Supply cannot switch on unless it has a minimum load (several amps) of load available on the 5v and 12v lines. Until then there is only one 5v "permanent live" supply for the on/off switch etc alive.

Clearly with the ATX plug out, that switch on cannot happen.

The computer will also not try to boot up unless the power supply tells it that all is OK in the power supply (the Power_OK signal wire) when the CPU will then fire up. So a minor fault in the power supply will stop the PC actually booting.

But the fans run, so I would hazard a guess the problem is not in the power supply. Only a replacement could prove it though.

If it is not a faulty PSU, then it could be any of the 1,527 motherboard components that have failed. Any are capable of preventing a boot up, and from your description it certainly is not booting at all.

11. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

I replaced the Power Supply with another that I know works in another computer (the one I'm using now) and there was no difference. HOWEVER, I did not unhook all the wires from the HDDs, DVD writers, etc. I only hooked up the ATX cable to see if there would be any change. Do I need to replace all the other cables as well from the new Power Supply or is that enough to test it? Shouldn't the computer at least try to access the Bios with just the ATX cable plugged in?

.....Gord

12. brite750

brite750

with a known good power supply plug in the mobo (both connectors if you have that type of board) some moboz have two pwr connr a 20pin and a 4pin near the cpu, the mobo should have 1 stick of ram the cpu with hsf and thats it, turn it on and see if you get the 1 short post beep.

13. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Okay, I tried it again and there is still no beep. Does this mean the Power Supply is good and I need to look elsewhere? If so, where do I look next? Thanks for the reply.

.....Gord

14. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Is there some tutorial out there somewhere that explains how to test the MOBO? I'm not sure where to even begin. How can I test the sequence of events that should occur as the computer boots up? Is there a way to tell at what point it stops; considering that it doesn't seem to even start doing anything?

.....Gord

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can buy POST Diagnostic cards that can show whats happening. Not sure how much one costs though.

One thing you may wish to try to narrow down tht problem is to strip the computer down. Disconnect every drive from the motherboard and power supply, remove all the PCI cards, disconnect every external device excpet the monitor(this includes the keyboard), and if you have more then one stick of RAM remove it. Then try booting up. You should also disconnect the front case switches and LED's - I've seen where a broken switch doesn't alway the computer to boot. To turn the computer on use a screw driver to short the two power pins on the motherboard for a second and the computer should power on. You can even pull the motherboard out of the case if you wish although since this isn't a new build it shouldn't developed a short between the case and mobo.

While you have the thing apart take a look at the capacitors on the motherbaord. Do any of them have something leaking out of them or are bulged up at the top or bottom?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice