1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is my HDD at fault?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goedel, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3967 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1791 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 448568 MB, Free - 401828 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XFWHV
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated and Enabled

I have been using an old Seagate IDE HDD with USB port connecting cables to record partition images from my PC's HDD. The last time, before using my Macrium-free backup software, I decided to remove the old backup that filled the Seagate by fomatting it. I have done this before using quick format with no problem. This time, I chose to do a full format of the Seagate through the USB port. Something occurred during the process, because when I returned to note the progress, I found the formatting had been interrupted. I tried to restart the formatting, but it would not restart. When I looked for the drive, it was no longer listed under "computer", and I could not even find it in the notifications on the system tray. I tried shutting down the PC, disconnecting the Seagate cable from the USB and restarting. Then I reconnected the Seagate cable to the USB port, but I still could not find the ATA to SATA Bridge among the notifications, the device manager, and could not find the drive in "computer". The drive spins when connected, but the drive is not recognized by my computer. Is it no longer possible to read the drive?

2. draceplace

draceplace

First try a different USB port, then try hooking up to a different PC and see if HD shows up before giving up. Drives rarely last for ever.

3. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Right! I have decided it's the HDD. How do you destroy the possibility of its being read before tossing it? The process of wiping takes too long. Should I just drill a couple 1/4 holes in it?

4. draceplace

draceplace

Drilling should do it in. I don't think you could wipe it if you wanted to but some genius might be able to mount the disk and spin\read it.

5. draceplace

draceplace

Make sure the USB cable hasn't failed!

6. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Thanks, draceplace!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice