1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is my ISP blocking VNC ports 5500 and 5900?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by diablo75, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

I want to make this as short as I can so it doesn't come across as long winded:

-I have just bought a new router from Netgear, a WPN824 v3.
    -The firmware is up to date
    -I have port forwarded ports 5500 and 5900 to my main PC
    -I have setup my dyndns.org login info within the router and it shows a successful update of my external IP when I check its status.
    -Attempting to access my PC from my laptop over the LAN works just fine, and vice versa
    -Attempting to access my PC from either itself, or the laptop using the dyndns.org domain gives me a Connection Refused (111) error message (I'm using linux).
    -I have configured the firewall on both the laptop and the PC to accept inbound connections on 5500 and 5900 from all hosts.
    -I can ping the router using my dyndns.org domain name
    -After setting up port forwarding, but before I configured the dyndns login, attempting to access using VNC and the domain name. It would not produce a Connection Refused error message, but would just hang as if it wasn't getting a connection refusal or connection of any sort.
    -I changed my port forwarding to point to my laptop instead of my PC and attempted to test using the dyndns domain name again, but I get the same error message.
    -I once temporarily configured the router to make my home PC a DMZ server (which I've never done before, so I don't understand what it's for completely, but the theory was it would bypass port forwarding all together) but that didn't help any, so it's since been disabled.

Not sure what else to try or check.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connect a computer directly to the modem with a wired connection and test there. You can use GoToMyVNC to test connectivity to a VNC server.

3. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

Solved.

Replaced the netgear with a linksys. Works just fine.

Sad to say this, but I'm never going to buy a netgear router again. Went through three of them in two weeks, all with different issues.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have no experience with their routers, I guess I'll keep it that way. :D I do have some of their switches and they've been fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/830992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice