1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is my laptop dead or do I just need to replace the batteries?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bonovox, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bonovox

bonovox Thread Starter

My Acer 7750G all the sudden showed a black screen, shut off and won't boot. I've had it for two years. The battery had been lasting less and less in the past year. That day I had been using the laptop unplugged for an hour or so, but when it went dead I'm pretty sure it was plugged in.

When I try to turn it on, the power button and the "light bulb" light blink five times and that's it.

When I take out the battery and try to boot, the blinking stops but it's still dead. Taking out the power cord makes no difference.

I also tried taking out the battery and the power cord and then pressing the on button for 60 seconds, but there was no response and no blinking.

Can this be fixed by replacing the battery?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Nope. The laptop does not need a battery to turn on, you can run laptops with just the AC adapter plugged in.

However what it may be is the power adapter. Acer's do blink the lights when the battery charge is too low to turn on from just the battery. So if your AC adapter is faulty or the jack in the laptop for it is broken then the laptop may be trying to tun off just the battery. Do you know anyone with a similar laptop or a universal laptop power adapter? You need to make sure the tip matches, the voltage matches, and that the amperage(Amps) is the same of higher on the replacement adapter. A local repair shop may be able to check it out for you with one of their own adapters.

3. bonovox

bonovox Thread Starter

There was actually a thunderstorm about an hour before this happened, causing the electricity to go off for a couple of seconds. The laptop died not exactly at that moment but less than an hour later.

The LED light on the AC Adapter still comes on when I plug it into the wall though. Could the storm have fried something in the laptop?

4. Netghost56

Netghost56

Possibly. EDIT: It possibly fried the adapter- not the laptop. There should be a fuse in the adapter for this reason- to prevent a power surge from killing the laptop. The adapter has most likely been fried.

This can be tested by using a voltmeter or multimeter to see if you get a correct reading on the power jack.

And on that note, batteries and the power adapters are generally the first laptop components to fail- which is why there are many available online ie Ebay. Just make sure if you decide to purchase a new one that it has the EXACT power capabilities of your current adapter. Best bet would be to get a numbers matching adapter from a reputable vendor.

5. valis

valis Moderator It's My Birthday!

wife's compaq lapper was plugged in during a close strike; I don't think it hit the house directly, but no further than two houses over.....regardless, power dropped immediately, I turned the lapper off to save the battery, and sat down to enjoy the storm.

next day, get a call at work stating it had died.......ended up replacing everything we could, ended up finding out it was something on the motherboard that had been fried. I don't know if this is common to compaq, lappers, all motherboards, but apparently on this one, there is something that verifies the juice coming in is good; if it's good, it lets it go, bad, cuts everything off. Problem is, if THAT goes, well, so much for that.

The nice addendum is that HP replaced it, and within 48 hours. Rig was 6 months old or so, didn't have the extended warranty, just explained the situation....kudos to them.

dunno if that helps, but I am curious to know if that is a piece of hardware on all mobos, or just lappers.....or just that demon-spawn computer.

6. bonovox

bonovox Thread Starter

But would the LED light on the adapter still come on if it's been fried?

7. Netghost56

Netghost56

Yes, in some cases. As Valis just mentioned, with the sensor on the mobo- your adapter could no longer be pushing the right voltage, or dirty power.

8. bonovox

bonovox Thread Starter

I see! I'll check it out on a voltmeter tonight and post the results.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sure, the light only indicates there's power getting it the adapter nothing else. It doesn't mean there's any power coming out from the adapter or that whats coming out is correct or that the cable is damaged or frayed as that also happens frequently.

10. bonovox

bonovox Thread Starter

The voltmeter showed the Adapter is indeed fried. No power was coming out of it. I'll be buying a new one tonight.

This problem wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Thanks for the advice guys! I'll mark this as solved.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1105109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice