1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is my laptop's HDD dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Apocalypsing, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apocalypsing

Apocalypsing Thread Starter

For about a week now, my laptop has been unable to boot into Windows 7. My attempts to repair and reinstall Windows weren't a success either. Problems began when I turned the laptop on one afternoon and went into my bedroom for a while. About 30 minutes later, I came out, and the laptop hadn't even finished booting yet - Windows was still on the same "Starting Windows" screen. This definitely wasn't normal, since my laptop never look longer than two minutes to boot up.

So I let it sit for a few more minutes, and then decided to hold the power button down for a force shut down. I try to boot up the laptop again, and the "Starting Windows" screen didn't even show up. Instead, text appeared at the top left of the screen ("Disk read error - press ctrl-alt-del to restart"). So I put the Windows 7 installation CD into the CD drive, and rebooted to attempt a system repair.

Even with the CD, Windows was slow with booting and loading. It took about an hour to reach the installation window, and I couldn't even get into system repair.
    So yeah, any process I do related to repairing Windows is VERY slow.

The next thing I did was install Linux Mint on one of my USB drives. I booted that up and it worked absolutely fine. I also managed to get into the C:/ drive and salvage an updated copy of all valuable the data I needed. After backing up, I tried reinstalling Windows completely, and it didn't succeed again.

This lead to me thinkig that the internal HDD was beginning to fail or something. I haven't heard any unusual mechanical sounds though, which most people seem to hear at the beginning of a failing HDD.

If I'm correct, then I think I'll buy myself a SSD. Now, my next question. I can't remember whether my laptop uses a SATA 1 or SATA 2 port, and most SDD's I've looked at are SATA 3. Are SATA 3 drives backwards-compatible with SATA 1-2 ports?

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice