1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is my max resolution really max?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by necrovamp, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

I have an HP 2310m monitor
    It is reported to have a max resolution of 1080p
    I have never disputed that.
    However, I recently ran 3dmark, and their sysinfo said it could hit 2560x1440
    I decided, what the hey I'll try it, made a custom resolution via nvidia control panel, and wala, 2560x1440 with 60 refresh rate, no problem.
    I used the monitors buttons, and it said it was running at 1080p

Now my questions are
    Was it really at the high resolution?
    Did the monitor only say 1080p, cause it didnt think it could go higher?
    or
    Since the monitor reported is was 1080p, it actually was still 1080p, and the software kinda forced its own 2560x1440 onto it, but with no difference with pixels, only making my desktop smaller?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The LCD panel in your monitor has a native resolution 1920x1080. That means it is built with 1920 columns of pixels and 1080 rows of pixels.
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/e...4302-215012-215012-3770740-4210057.html?dnr=1

The electronics in your monitor may have some abilities to stretch incoming video of lower resolutions to fill the entire screen and compress incoming video of higher resolutions to also fit the screen. If you were to run the monitor at 2560x1440 and had your computer fill the screen with alternating, one pixel wide each, horizontal black and white lines, the monitor hardware would most likely display a series of 1080 gray lines of various brightnesses. The same thing would happen if you drew alternating vertical lines.

3. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

so pretty much, its not actually 1440, since the hardware physically doesn't have that many pixels

I also ran some screenshots in games, with both resolutions, while the 1440 screenshot did come out with the large resolution, there didnt seem to be a difference in quality, but it came with a performance cost if I had AA on, so i think ill just stick with 1080p, thnx for the info

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice