Solved: Is my modem too old?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

meghanald

I've just upgraded my internet speed (from 1.8 to 8. something)...what Centurylink considers "high speed" with the hope of a faster internet connection. No such luck. It's still as slow as molasses. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps my modem is "too old". My mother-in-law had a very slow connection, too, until we set up a new modem for her tonight. Now, it's very fast. Was that just a coincidence or could that be my problem, too? Currently, I have a Westell modem. On the back, it has these codes if they are of any help to you.

Model: C90-610014-06
Rev: D
Assembled 1/2006

C99-610014-03

I have an HP, running Windows XP with a DSL high speed connection.

Thanks for the help!

Triple6

Rob
Do you rent the modem? If so call the. Actually the ISP can do line tests and check several things for you.

You could also try borrowing her modem and seeing what the result in performance is.

The issue could also be with the lines, the configuration, or you computer.

Snagglegaster

Banned
It's certainly possible that your ISP has made changes that mean your older modem doesn't work well with their current system, but I'd start by calling them and simply asking. Most carriers will run remote diagnostics for free and these can identify problems with your line quality and modem. If you aren't satisfied with their answers, there are other tests you can use.

meghanald

Thank you for the help and great suggestions! I called our local branch and they actually let me trade my old modem for newer version, just to try it. Man, it made a world of difference!! I just didn't want to be the dork in their office who didn't know what she was talking about. It's much better to get "virtual reassurance", because the geek points don't really matter here. This was the first time I've ever used Tech Support Guy, but I'm hooked. I wish I had known about this site sooner. I would have saved myself a lot of embarrassment asking silly questions.

Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts