1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is my old router dying?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jmc, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

I have an old, formerly reliable DI-614+. It is flashed with the newest available firmware. I also have a modem from my ISP. The router supplies the DHCP addresses, the modem supplies the internet connection.

Occasionally over the last year or so, the modem would pick up DHCP, which of course means none of the wireless clients (2) could connect to the web. I spent some time trying to fix this, but as all I managed to do was lock up the modem completely, I gave up - would just reboot both in succession and all would be well.

I'd just check ipconfig /all, and if it was showing the modem's subnet instead of the router's, I knew I had to reboot them.

Slowly, this behavior has been accelerating. Last week, I upgraded my ISP plan - before it was only 512kb (though I think it was actually 1.5, according to dumeter). Now, it's an 8MB connection - speedtest says I'm getting about 6MB...

Today, all heck has broken loose. The router won't stay up for more than 10 minutes or so. I made another attempt to fix the problem, and again locked up the modem which took me another hour to correct.

In addition, now this computer - which is hard-wired to the router- will lose all access to it - can't connect through the router's IP.

<edit>
    After some troubleshooting, I've discovered that I can reliably make the router crash by: a) running speedtest.net (large file from the net) from a wireless client - works fine from a wired client - or b) trying to copy or read a file on the wired computer from a wireless client.

What I see happening is all lights go on, go off, come back on - except M1. Sometimes M2 stays off as well. I pull the plug, wait some time, then power it back up - a variety of different light combinations result.
    </edit>

I can't think of anything else to do. I need this router to last another few months, because at that time I'm moving to a different country, which will necessitate a new router anyway - we're adsl here but likely will be cable or FIOS when we get home.

Is there anything else I can try? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new wireless router?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you may not have a choice as to how long the router lasts. :)

Try upgrading the firmware to the latest version if you don't already have it.
    Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it.

One or both of these two measures will frequently bring a router around, but obviously not always. ;)

The obvious question, is the connection stable if you connect directly to the broadband modem? Are you SURE it's the router?

3. sunnyeagle

sunnyeagle

I have seen this happen before and as John says, you might not have a choice. Try what he has said and if it does not work buy a better brand. Or at least one that handle the faster speed. As you can tell I prefer certain brands, but I still do my homework on all hardware and read all the reviews.

4. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Johnwill:

I did try re-flashing the firmware, at first I thought it helped but I was wrong. I tried at one point - it didn't reset, and took about 1/2 hour to get it working again. I'm afraid to try again, as I have this strong feeling that would kill it dead.

I believe that it may have been marginal for some time; I'd had problems in the past with it dropping out when I'd try to install software across the network from my wireless laptop. I figured it was just a misconfiguration, but never got around to fixing it. I'd just re-download the software directly to the laptop.

Now it's to the point that if hubby tries to do anything large from wireless - including trying to download software - it crashes. Trying to reboot it is an interesting experience, since sometimes it'll take a dozen tries before the M1 light comes on and stays on. I'm seeing M2 more and more.

Definitely the wireless component though - I can play Second Life for hours, no problem, from this wired machine.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Time to shop for another router. :)

6. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

I did. New router has been working great! I now suspect that the old router has been borderline for some time, because I've not had any of the problems that plagued me with the old one.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/673832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice