1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is my system fried now????????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sgl1, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Well it finally happened. I had an electrical spike knock the hell out of my computer about two weeks ago and shut it down. So much for the no-spike strip I have! Well now, it still seems to work but whenever it's shut off and the monitor's still on what used to be a blue screen was replaced by a white and black vertically striped screen. And for some reason, every now and then my computer decides to reboot out of nowhere! It's just like someone turned the lights off. The system shuts down and reboots! The first time it did it was while playing a graphic intense game. Then it did it almost every time I played. So I thought it was game related. But it did it today while surfing the net! And I don't have many other programs running in the background either. This never occurred before the spike. Any ideas?

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

As long as your display is still functioning properly when the system is running, then I don't think you should be concerned about the monitor, (you could always just turn it off).
    Regarding the random restarts and power-offs, have you popped open the casing and checked to make sure that your processor fan is still running. Usually, I like to rule out the possibility of overheating before I start to really troubleshoot it. If the fan is working OK, then the problem is often related to the power management settings.
    Check that and post back.

Good Luck:)

3. angel

angel

If anything does go, did the strip have a warranty/insurance (as many do)? Hit them up for it!

4. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

that's a good idea and one I didn't think of, obviously. What's weird is this processor is an AMD Thunderbird 1000mgz. Now I know the Athlons are known to run hot. What's funny is that when I go into my bios settings under temperatures, the is no temperature or fan speed given for the processor? Now this computer was custom built by a company that does it as they're business. What I'm gonna do is take the whole box to my IT guy and let him look at it and maybe buy a better fan for the exhaust and processor.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice