1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: \\****** is not accessible.You may not have the permission to use this networ

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WhidbeyJac, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhidbeyJac

WhidbeyJac Thread Starter

I have 4 xp pro sp3 machines + a wireless Vista Laptop network behind a Cisco 804 Router... I know this is well behind the power curve.. but it's my only choice with reasonable latency. This machine is the master browser not accessible to the other machines but is serving my squeeze box and is routable to the net. I can ping it and it has an assigned local ip Address & DNS. The nbstat -n & Ipconfig /all as follows:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\John *****>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bookends-e96796
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connect
    ion
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-2F-D1-C6-92
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.22
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.9
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.166.65.1

C:\Documents and Settings\John *****>
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\John *****>nbtstat -n
    Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.22] Scope Id: []
    NetBIOS Local Name Table
    Name Type Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    BOOKENDS-E96796<00> UNIQUE Registered
    BOOKENDS-E96796<20> UNIQUE Registered
    WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

I'm at a loss to resolve the problem with out a reinstall which would be a last resort. All the services seem to be running. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. nvr.bck.from.mac

nvr.bck.from.mac

i don't see anything wrong with your stats. routers should be named with the ip 192.168.0.1, but i don't think that's an issue at this point.

since you're hardwired in it doesn't sound like anything with your router or your internet, or your computer.

actually... wait... i missed this. you need to enable your dhcp lease. if needed you should set it up with a manual address making sure you're not taking up someone else's ip address. if that's an issue with your router (which it could be) you may need to change your router settings so it automatically gives ip ad's to computers via dhcp. if everything is enabled and all your settings are correct you may need to just reboot your router, and then when all connections are active, reboot all your computers.

if that's not it, it's probably a vista bug. i've heard about so many people having problems with vista there's a good chance of that.
    that would require a repair with the vista boot discs, or a full reinstall. (hoprefully you won't have to go quite that far, since it's a pain in the *you know what*).

3. WhidbeyJac

WhidbeyJac Thread Starter

Found two problems.. 1) Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator somehow was set to "Manual" instead of " Automatic" and 2) a real mystery as I have used Zone Alarm in its' various incantations for the last 6 yrs was some how blocking the computer from broadcasting it's Netbios name or seeing the other computers "names". Uninstalling and reninstalling and Eureka I can see & share all the folders / drives on all machines including the wireless "Vista" laptop. P.S> It took the Laptop approximately 5 minutes to show up.. Go figure. Thanks for your support. Jac (y):)(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice