Solved: Is that your PC backing up?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KJam

I powered up my Dell Inspiron/Windows 7 Home laptop and it's emitting a loud beeping sound like a truck backing up. Dark screen and only the power light illuminated, disk and battery charging lights remained dark. Do I have a hard drive or processor issue? Is it worth fixing?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you all can give me.

Welcome to TSG, KJam.

Listen carefully to the beeps. How many times does it beep?

KJam

It just keeps going. When it first happened I had hit the power button and left the room thinking it would take some time to cycle up and when the beeping started I actually thought it was a truck backing up outside so it went on for a few minutes unabated until I realized what was happening and hit the power button again which silenced it. And it's not a typical windows beep, it's much louder. it sounds more like a hardware alarm.

KJam

Ignore my previous reply. I tried it again and it does cycle on 7 beeps (which repeat until powered down). Sorry for the confusion.

So 7 beeps means?

Can give us either the full model number for the laptop or the service tag (should be on a sticker on the casing on the bottom of the laptop possibly even under the battery)?

We can then use that information to look up the manual for you laptop on the Dell support website. In the manual there will be a table stating what each beep code relates to.

KJam

Dell IM5030-172 notebook
AMD Athion dual-core P360 (2.30 GHz)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online