1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is the Back Up Utility for my Windows XP Home Edition working properly ?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Fit2BTied, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fit2BTied

Fit2BTied Thread Starter

I am trying to understand if the Microsoft XP Home Edition Backup Utility that I installed from my installation CD is creating a corrupt .bkf file after I use that utility. After I located the NTbackup.msi folder, installed it, and starting it, I selected the boxes for the personal files I wanted to back up and then save in a destination I chose on the hard drive.
    After exiting the Back Up utility, I went to that destination, and all of the files I checked weren't there. There was just one .bkf file that got saved. All of the backed-up personal files I checked off while I was running the Back Up Utility had apparently never made it to the destination I chose, but this one particular file, which has that type of icon that opens with an 'unknown application' was there.
    Does this mean that the .bkf file I saved using the utility is corrupted? I can't find anywhere in all of the Microsoft knowledge Base library if this is how the file is supposed to be saved in Windows XP Home Edition on the hard drive.
    If this file isn't corrupted, how then do I upload all of the personal files onto a CD if wanted to from this one .bkf file because the file that got saved doesn't open?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That one magical BKF file contains all of your precious data. That means if any tiny bit of it gets corrupted or becomes unreadable, you lose everything. It also means you can only restore the files on another Windows XP system.

This is a really bad way to back up data.

I recommend Cobian.

3. Fit2BTied

Fit2BTied Thread Starter

Thank you !
    I couldn't find anything in the MS knowlwge base library that mentioned this ...
    I see now this is a bad way to back up data

Thanks again.

4. Hughv

Hughv

Ntbackup is an excellent and reliable application that I have used successfully for many years, but you have to understand how it works, just as you have to understand any other complex app.
    All backup apps have a "Restore" feature, so open the program and select "restore", then navigate to your bkf file and see all your docs.

5. Fit2BTied

Fit2BTied Thread Starter

In Windows XP home edition, I went to Start, then All Programs, Accessories, then System Tools, and clicked on Back Up. This is the utility I downloaded from the home edition installation CD. The main window of this utility has a 'Restore Wizard (Advanced)' to select from:

[​IMG]

So I clicked on the Restore Wizard and followed the steps through until the end, but I was still not able to find any of my documents after navigating to my bkf file.

Am I supposed to click on the 'Restore and Manage Media' tab instead?

6. Hughv

Hughv

If you backed them up, they are in there.
    What did you select when you backed up? "Documents and Settings" would be the usual, so look through the docs folder, unless you've elected a non-standard file system.

7. Fit2BTied

Fit2BTied Thread Starter

I did this over the weekend. I think I selected "Documents and Settings", if that's what the program selects by default, but I can't remember for sure.
    I don't see any backed up data files in there right now though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, the destination selected by the Back Up Utility was the Local Disk (C:). That's where I found the .bkf file that was created.

8. Hughv

Hughv

Look again. Ntbackup works, and your files are there.
    You might consider doing another backup and selecting the external drive.
    For additional security, I copy the bkf file to a DVD (Usually a DL).

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you use a program like Cobian, you don't have to install or use any special software to recover your data. I'm sure many people have success with Windows backup, but most do not. It won't work, for example, if you get a new computer and want to restore your data. Windows 7 won't restore Windows XP backup files. Having all your data in one single proprietary file greatly increases the risk of data loss.

10. Fit2BTied

Fit2BTied Thread Starter

I looked again for the files in the folder under Local Disk(C) named: "Documents and Settings", "My Documents", "Downloads". I can't find any of the files. There's only one bkf file saved under Local Disk (C:) that has around 209KB (that's the one 'magical' fle you mentioned that has all of my data)
    My intent for running this utility was I wanted to copy these saved files to a CD-R after saving the files to my hard drive (which is the only way to do that since I only have XP Home Edition.)
    --------------------------
    I'm going to look into Cobian. It sounds like I'll have better success.. and I'm looking to the future to get a new PC with Windows 7, so I'll have all my data in one file backed up.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no way all your data compressed to a single 209KB file. It's probably empty.

12. Hughv

Hughv

As I recall, DH, that's the third time you've said this, and I will now correct you for the third time. Win7 is quite happy to use Ntbackup.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974674

13. Hughv

Hughv

In the end, it doesn't matter which backup app you use, but the problems you're having suggest you're not following directions properly. You're not gouing to have any better luck with Cobian (Which is a fine piece of software) if you don't take your time and read the instructions.

14. Fit2BTied

Fit2BTied Thread Starter

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice