1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is there a certin memory TYPE requirement for Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bakin, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bakin

bakin Thread Starter

Hey all! I was looking to buy a "netbook" from HP around the first of the year, but I had one concern when it came to memory / OS compatibility. There are two options for OS:
    Windows XP Home with Service Pack 3
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

There are also 3 different memory options:
    1GB DDR3 System Memory
    2GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
    3GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)

Now, if I were to select XP as my OS, the only option it lets me select is 1gb. If I were to select Windows 7, I'm able to select any of the 3 options. When having XP with 2 or 3 GB selected, it says:
    Windows XP Home with Service Pack 3 requires 1GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm). Update Memory or Operating system .

Not sure what's going on here. I think 1 Dimm just means it takes up 1 slot. But, why would I not be able to have XP and 2/3 GB? To my knowledge, HP isn't correct?

Just wondering, because I want to select XP with 3GB. I have Windows 7 professional through my work, so I don't want to drop $30 on an OS I won't use. I kinda want to upgrade the memory through HP because 1) they install it so it's on them, and 2) it's only $65 for 3gb. Pretty good price, I think

Does anybody know anything about this? To my knowledge I shouldn't have a problem having ANY of these memories with EITHER operating system, but according to their website, it has to be one or the other.

2. brandonbr

brandonbr

You should be able to purchase Win XP with 3gb of RAM. I would call and order the netbook over the phone. That way they can add it without the auto configuration stopping you.

3. bakin

bakin Thread Starter

Thanks! That's what I thought. When the time comes, I'll make sure to call if I have to.

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

For any operating system, the amount of memory matters; the type of memory doesn't. Memory is written to and read from via the BIOS. The operating system has nothing to do with it (other than communicating with the BIOS).

Courtney

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    The motherboard that is being used with the XP machine may NOT support more than 1 gig or RAM.

6. bakin

bakin Thread Starter

Great points. I think the thing to do is call HP when the time comes and find out exactly why they don't allow it on their website. Thank you guys :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/882642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice