1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is there a max number of cells you can search/replace

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Big Pat, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Pat

Big Pat Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm using Excel 2003 and I have started to receive a large weekly dataset, approx 10000 rows by 72 columns. Lots of the cells which should contain dates actually contain the word "NULL". it appears to be a feature of the originating system and the sender says he can't change this. I need to remove all instances of NULL and just have empty cells.

If I select the whole sheet and then use Search/Replace, it seems to only remove some of the NULLs. If I select just some of the columns, it seems to work OK all the way down, but it's labourious to have to repeat the process several times over, as it SEEMS to work on poerhaps only 5 or 6 columns at a time. I've never come across this before and it occured to me that maybe there's a maximum number of "replacements" that Excel can handle. Is that the case?

Or is it more likely to be related to performance fo the actual PC?

Thanks,

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Tried the same on a 42000 rows x 90 columns table, with every 50th cell containing NULL (i.e. 76000+ NULLs) and there were no problems at all. I suspect it's a computer performance problem. Maybe the undo memory fills up, or something.

3. Big Pat

Big Pat Thread Starter

I think you're right. I've just downloaded the file on my home PC, (Windows Vista, Excel 2007) and replaced approx 80000, NULLs in about three seconds. The problem is definitely with the work PC and I have no access to any settings so I'll have to call our IT dept.

Of course I will explain what the problem is but in case they draw a blank do you have any ideas what type of fix might work? A defrag? More RAM?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice