{SOLVED}Is there a safe way to uninstall DirectX8.1 and go back to DirectX8?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Microsoft says No. What problems are you experiencing? I recently upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 with no problems.

Chum

Problems...some of the tests fail, even after trying several drivers, one of my games(that used to work fine) gives me an error message stating that I need a DirectX8 compatible display adapter(which makes no sense, since I am supposedly using DirectX8). Randomly losing OpenGL acceleration...have to restart(unsure if this is caused by DirectX, but it did not happen before).

Found an uninstall thing here do you think it will help? I still have the DirectX8 install program to use.

Thanks for your quick response!:D

P.S. OS is Win98

I dont want to speculate on if the uninstaller will work as i have not used it or have heard of anyone using it. I would atempt to download the directx 8.1 and reinstall it again just to make sure i got a good D/L and install. If that does not help, then maybe the uninstaller is worth trying. Sorry i cant help.

I have found DirectX Buster to be an effective and safe uninstaller utility. At its site can also be found earlier versions of DX

Chum

Originally posted by Paul Nagel
I dont want to speculate on if the uninstaller will work as i have not used it or have heard of anyone using it. I would atempt to download the directx 8.1 and reinstall it again just to make sure i got a good D/L and install. If that does not help, then maybe the uninstaller is worth trying. Sorry i cant help.
Thanks Paul! I have tried reinstalling DirectX8.1...no help!:mad:

Chum

Originally posted by Alwill
I have found DirectX Buster to be an effective and safe uninstaller utility. At its site can also be found earlier versions of DX
Thanks...I'm working up the nerve to try it!

Chum

Can I just try reinstalling Win98? Would this put me back to an older version of DirectX? What if I removed some of the DirectX files before I did the reinstall?

The only way to eleminate the current DX it is with a clean(format the hard drive) install of Win98 or if the uninstaller software works. I would not just start deleting files unless you have eveything backed up and are ready to reinstall windows anyway. You could try the uninstall progam if you have no choise left. Just make sure you have copies of eveything important.

Chum

Wow, check this out! Called Elsa's tech support line, just in case they had any ideas. Their support tech (Guido) is going to email me a DirectX uninstaller that they have tested and varified safe. They do not think it's driver related. Once again Elsa's tech support has gone beyond my expectations, even though my problem is not hardware related. If anyone ever considers an Elsa video card, there tech support is awesome!:D

I will post back later, hopefully when problem is solved!

Hope it works. Let us know more when you are finished. I am glad to hear good news about tech support. It seems like it is becoming one of the first things sacrificed if offered at all and sometimes it is useless.

Chum

I am happy to report, that I am now running DirectX8.0!:) :cool:

You can view the download page that I got it at here it has Win98 and others. It was very simple...first you need to download the installer of the DirectX version you want to use, run the executable of the uninstaller, when you restart you have no directX at all. Then you simply install the version you downloaded!

Thanks for the feedback. I have bookmarked the web site in case someone else needs an uninstaller.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online