1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{SOLVED}Is there a safe way to uninstall DirectX8.1 and go back to DirectX8?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Chum, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Hope so, cause I've had problems with 8.1!:confused:

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Microsoft says No. What problems are you experiencing? I recently upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 with no problems.

3. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Problems...some of the tests fail, even after trying several drivers, one of my games(that used to work fine) gives me an error message stating that I need a DirectX8 compatible display adapter(which makes no sense, since I am supposedly using DirectX8). Randomly losing OpenGL acceleration...have to restart(unsure if this is caused by DirectX, but it did not happen before).

Found an uninstall thing here do you think it will help? I still have the DirectX8 install program to use.

Thanks for your quick response!:D

P.S. OS is Win98

4. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

I dont want to speculate on if the uninstaller will work as i have not used it or have heard of anyone using it. I would atempt to download the directx 8.1 and reinstall it again just to make sure i got a good D/L and install. If that does not help, then maybe the uninstaller is worth trying. Sorry i cant help.

5. Alwill

Alwill

I have found DirectX Buster to be an effective and safe uninstaller utility. At its site can also be found earlier versions of DX

6. pons

pons

7. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Thanks Paul! I have tried reinstalling DirectX8.1...no help!:mad:

8. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Thanks...I'm working up the nerve to try it!

9. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Can I just try reinstalling Win98? Would this put me back to an older version of DirectX? What if I removed some of the DirectX files before I did the reinstall?

10. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

The only way to eleminate the current DX it is with a clean(format the hard drive) install of Win98 or if the uninstaller software works. I would not just start deleting files unless you have eveything backed up and are ready to reinstall windows anyway. You could try the uninstall progam if you have no choise left. Just make sure you have copies of eveything important.

11. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Wow, check this out! Called Elsa's tech support line, just in case they had any ideas. Their support tech (Guido) is going to email me a DirectX uninstaller that they have tested and varified safe. They do not think it's driver related. Once again Elsa's tech support has gone beyond my expectations, even though my problem is not hardware related. If anyone ever considers an Elsa video card, there tech support is awesome!:D

I will post back later, hopefully when problem is solved!

12. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Hope it works. Let us know more when you are finished. I am glad to hear good news about tech support. It seems like it is becoming one of the first things sacrificed if offered at all and sometimes it is useless.

13. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

I am happy to report, that I am now running DirectX8.0!:) :cool:

You can view the download page that I got it at here it has Win98 and others. It was very simple...first you need to download the installer of the DirectX version you want to use, run the executable of the uninstaller, when you restart you have no directX at all. Then you simply install the version you downloaded!

14. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Thanks for the feedback. I have bookmarked the web site in case someone else needs an uninstaller.

15. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Of course, I cannot guarantee it for everyone!:D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice