Solved: is there a way to change name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ms_khw

I was wondering, is there a way to change the name that was entered during reformat? A friend of mine had her computer done and they put the wrong name in during the install of xp. Things related to the operating system such as her documents and such and sign on show that name. She doesn't want to create a separate profile, just to correct this. Can this be done

Basically no.

You can change the profile name, but all the associated folders in My Documents remain with the old profile name. Probably because they are system files and it's part of the security, also because any installed programs that used those names would crash if they were changed.

Its also not a good idea to change them by other means as if successful, Windows gets very upset. I have seen one system crippled from that event!

There are some workarounds however, such as this one.
http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=38320&subsectionid=616

ms_khw

Thanks, it is as I had thought. I told her way back when to just leave it and the next time it needs a reformat that I'll do it. I guess she had gotten a little frustrated with it. Once again, thanks,
msk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts