1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is there a way to force Windows Update to ignore the state of the laptop batt

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by diablo75, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

I have a laptop that is doing something strange. When the power adapter is plugged in, the light on the front of the laptop comes on and will stay on so long as it is charging the battery. When it's full, the light goes off and the system remains fully charged. However, windows does not show a status that reflects the fact that the power adapter is plugged in; it instead simply says the battery is at 100% with the battery symbol; NOT the power plug icon I've been accustomed to expecting when it's being powered by a cord.

Now, when I try to apply Windows 7 Service Pack 1, I get an error saying that the battery is low, with the button to Retry, but no matter what it seems to think that the battery is dying or something. The system runs just fine without the power attached, and even if I try to trick this little pre-update power check by unplugging the power for a minute, plugging it back in so as to force it to charge and hopefully notice that it is indeed plugged in, it doesn't help. So I can't apply Service Pack 1 for Windows 7.

Is there a way that I could perhaps force the system to not check on the status of the battery before applying updates?

Would removing the battery and leaving the system plugged in fix the problem (just thought of that; have to try it when I get home)?

2. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

I guessed correctly: The battery must have a strange issue with it where it's not reporting it's current charge state to the computer correctly. Removing the battery and running off the wall outlet only solved the problem, and SP1 was installed without a hitch.

Now if I could only get this built-in webcam to be shown in the device manager (suspect a hardware problem now)...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!