1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Is there a way to repair Win98SE?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by joeAgain------, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeAgain------

joeAgain------ Thread Starter

like you would repairing Internet Explorer(in the Add/Remove Programs folder...although I know THAT wouldn't be the place to do it with an O/S)?

My system is getting glitchy lately and freezes up. I have no choice then but to shut off the power and hard reboot again. Every once in awhile I get a black screen telling me that no operating system could be found. I shut down again and luckily(so far), my system comes back up again.

Fdisking and rebuilding would be much more involved for me now, since I'm running a dual operating system (with Win2000 on another partition). And I'd have to wipe it out too and rebuild them both.

Is there anything I could do too try to fix the problems I'm having with Win98SE? (I've used Jouni Vuorio's excellent jv16 Power Tools registry cleaner to keep my registry clean, defrag, etc. fairly regularly)

Can anybody give me some ideas on this, Please?

2. flawed_cat

flawed_cat

"My system is getting glitchy lately and freezes up. I have no choice then but to shut off the power and hard reboot again. Every once in awhile I get a black screen telling me that no operating system could be found."
    -------------------------------------------------
    I think I would check the ribbon connection to the HDD first and go from there. Perhaps wiping a thin layer of oil on the connection pins. A weak or faulty connection could cause freezes and the random "no operating system found."

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Are you having any trouble with W2k? are the 2 OS's partitions on the same HDD? It would also be wise to go to the website of the HDD's manufacturor and search for a utility to test your drive: it may be faulty or ready to fail.

Are you also scanning for virii on a regular basis? Cleanup maintenance? Scanning for spyware?

Also: please don't confuse "Internet Explorer" with Windows explorer: they are 2 completely animals. "Windows Explorer" is not repairable in add/remove programs.

4. joeAgain------

joeAgain------ Thread Starter

Pyritechips,
    Oops! You were right(I corrected it above...I did mean Internet Explorer)

I've not had any problem with W2K or Win98SE on my dual boot system(on separate partitions)for many months until just before posting that question.

My problem seems to have somehow been related to running GoBack3 Deluxe. Once I uninstalled it, I've never had that problem again. GoBack3 Deluxe worked well for month too, until then. I bet if I reinstalled it...it would be OK again. I think somehow it got corrupted.

thanks everyone.

jA

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice