1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is this a good resolution for the price?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by namenotfound, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. namenotfound

namenotfound Thread Starter

$700 camcorder, 1920 x 1080, AVCHD format.

Does it matter that the camera only shoots in 1080i, and not 1080p, if the main target media is movie theaters.

2. Chuck22

Chuck22

I don't know about resolution vs price, but it shouldn't matter that the camera shoots 1080i not 1080p. The "i" refers to interlace scanning, while the "p" refers to parallel scanning. Any device which recognizes 1080p (as most now do) will also recognize 1080i.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

If you are considering this for movie theaters, why are you limiting yourself to $700?
    Also, movie theaters would probably not appreciate a lowly 1080 anything, that is unless you are projecting Lego pictures.

4. namenotfound

You could have just said the camera isn't recommended :(

I'm on a budget, hence the price tag. My friend owns a local community movie theater and said if I made a decent film, he'd display it for me in there. I'm just looking for a quality camera for displaying movies on a movie theater sized screen.

What resolution would you recommend?

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

Don't get upset with any of us because we don't word our answers to your liking. If it is your friend's movie theater, then why don't you just ask him what he recommends? After all, no matter what we say here means nothing if the friend says NO.

6. namenotfound

1, you pretty much called me an idiot with the "why are you limiting yourself to $700?" and "movie theaters would probably not appreciate a lowly 1080 anything" remarks.

2, I never said I was upset with anyone. Also, don't say "us" when you know darn well that I was only referring to YOU ChuckE.

3, You still didn't answer my question, which was "What resolution would you recommend?"

I had to look elsewhere for the answer, since you were so unhelpful.

This can be closed now.

7. ChuckE

ChuckE

1. I didn't call you an idiot, it seems that was not needed. I wondered why you were limiting yourself to such a small amount of money, when doing what you want can be so much more expensive.
    2. I was answering to be general. Seems you want to be the finger pointer.
    3. I gave the only answer that matters, that we can't answer for your friend. Seems you have as much regard for your friend as you do the members here, and I suppose that does mean me, and you don't even know me.
    Lastly, by you going elsewhere for an answer only confirms you still have no regard for your friend. You should learn how to talk to your friends, because you sound like you lose a lot of them.

8. namenotfound

You're a jerk ChuckE. You just couldn't let this thread go, you just had to have the last word. Don't assume anything about the situation, just answer the question as it's asked. If you can't do that, then don't post.

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

I wanted to answer the question, but I thought it best to find out what you wanted to do first, and to ask a few simple questions that would get me to a point where answers mean something. I wasn't try to embarrass you, or call you any names as you seem to want to do to me.

A famous humanitarian said, "The [wise person] is not a person who gives the right answers, he is one who asks the right questions."

To adequately project an image onto a movie theater screen requires a higher resolution than what you get from an HD television, or from most of the HD movie Camcorders available. That is where you probably got the 1920x1080 numbers.

That was the only point I was bringing up when I used the word "lowly," in that if you had a camera with twice that resolution (3840x2160), which would be 4 times the total pixel resolution, then you are getting close to what would be acceptable projected in a movie theater. There are some companies right now experimenting with these "4K" systems. But you will not see, for a long time, any of these systems anywhere close to $700.

But, again I was wondering what your friends opinion and requirements would be, since it is his movie theater. If you could have come back with a response that your friend gave, then I would have been glad to give an informed and educated answer. I am not going to resort to name calling.

With your saying "Don't assume anything about the situation, just answer the question as it's asked." reminds me of the famous line from Adlai Stevenson, during the Cuban missile crisis, at an emergency session of the UN Security Council. He demanded of the Soviet representative, if his country was installing missiles in Cuba, "Don't wait for the translation, answer 'yes' or 'no'!"

Well, namenotfound, I wanted some details before I gave an answer. You had no reason to get upset with me. But you somehow have.

I see you took more that two days to come up with the eloquent "You're a jerk ChuckE" (ouch! how sharp the tongue.) So, how soon before we hear from you next? If you want the last word, let's hear it now. Type away! I give you permission to have the last word. ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice