1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is this a sign of a dying GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Heinstar, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Heinstar

Heinstar Thread Starter

Here's my spec:
    CPU: Intel E6600
    GPU: NVIDIA 8800GTS
    Mobo: GIGABYTE 965P-DS3P(rev. 3.3)
    RAM: Transcend 1GB, DDR2-800 x2
    PSU:500w Antec Earth Watts Power Supply

Info
    My PC has been working fine for 3 years but these problem started happening couple of weeks ago:
    1. After 10 minutes of playing PC game the balloon on the taskbar popped up and said “display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered” and another pop up which I can't remember exactly but said “windows kernal 185.5 driver problem”?.
    2. After 10 minutes of using the PC it displayed "display driver has stopped responding and could not recover" in BSOD.
    3. When I booted up W7 it said in BSOD "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed”
    4. The POST started displaying white lines across the screen.
    5. Could now only use Win XP 32 bit and only without any display drivers installed. As soon as I install the driver that came with the CD or Online the screen turns into reddish paintball effect and keeps on restarting and coming back to the reddish desktop again.

Things I have tried:
    1. Fresh install of windows 7. It works half-way but When the PC requires a restart to go to the desktop the first time it displays a BSOD.
    2. Installed the latest driver from NVIDIA website for my 8800GTS Windows 7 64bit in Safe Mode.
    3. Installed the display driver from the original CD in windows XP 32bit but that lead to BSOD .
    4. Cleaned the dust in my PC.
    5. Checked the fan of the Video card, and took out the video card and stuck it back in.
    6. Uninstalled the NVIDIA display adapter driver in Device manager but when windows detect it and reinstalled the driver the BSOD appeared.
    7. Rubbed the gold plate on the Graphics Card with a rubber
    8. Tried using my GPU on the other PC which displayed white lines across the screen and froze in Post displaying 'Memory information: DDR3 1333 Unganged Mode' and screwed up the other PC by freezing at the same info without the white lines after boot up even though I took out my GPU.... But that's another story.

Info in BSOD:
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
    If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
    Check with your hardware vendor any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

The technical information:
    ***STOP: 0*00000116 (0*FFFFFA80019F0010,0*FFFFF88003BC16C0,0…
    ***nvlddmkm.sys – Address FFFFF88003BC16CO base at FFFFF8003AF1000, Datestamp4a0c8387
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance

You can see the picture of BSOD, lines across my screen and paintball effect here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

What do you guys think? after trying my GPU on the other PC and screwing that PC up as well, I think the problem is with the GPU.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have done a good job of troubleshooting and I think you are correct, your video card is failing. The reason it works until you load the nvidia driver is that the card is not stressed at all with the basic windows driver.

FWIW some video card mfg like xfx, evga have lifetime warranties on their cards. I have sent back 2~3yr old evga cards and they have sent me back a more current video card [returned a 7900 and received an 8800gt]

3. Heinstar

Heinstar Thread Starter

Well my GPU's warranty is expired but I want to make sure that it is my GPU that is the problem. So I want to use my brother's GPU on my current PC to see if it works;

Here's my spec:
    CPU: Intel E6600
    GPU: NVIDIA 8800GTS(faulty the one that screwed up my brother's PC)
    Mobo: GIGABYTE 965P-DS3P(rev. 3.3)
    RAM: Transcend 1GB, DDR2-800 x2
    PSU:500w Antec Earth Watts Power Supply

Here's my bro's PC spec:
    CPU: AMD phenom II 720 TripleCore
    GPU: Zotac GTX260*2(216SP) 896M DDR3(Requires 2 PCI-E_)
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD770/SB700 chipset/DDR3 1600(rev. 1.0)
    RAM: G.Skill 2GB DDR3 1333 PC106666 (F3-10666CL9D-4GBBNQ) x2
    PSU: Vantec ION2 620W Ultra Quite

Is it possible to just use my brother's GPU on my current spec? If I need to switch parts, from my brother's PC which one do you suggest?
    EDIT: nm I tried my brother's PC and his PSU on my PC but that lead to BSOD and restarted itself, so the problem might be combination of things.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You probably will need to swap the pw supply as well. The 260 needs more pw than your 500W can provide.
    Next with your old card still installed, you need to fully remove the driver then shutdown and pull the old card. Install the new card and pw supply. Restart and load the current driver for the new card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice