1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is this a solid, stable build for gaming and overclocking?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brigada37, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brigada37

brigada37 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am need of some advice for a gaming build that I am about to make. I have actually already purchased all of the parts and they are already here, but before unpacking any of them, I decided to check with some other people whether they will work together well. The biggest thing that I'm worried about is whether my PSU will handle my system and all of the overclocking I will be doing. Also, I do not plan on upgrading for a while, so I just want to make sure this system, as it is now, will work.

As I mentioned in the title, this build is solely for the purpose of gaming, so I WILL be doing some overclocking. Basically, I just want to make sure that it will be able to handle everything well.

Here are the specs:

OS - Windows 7 x64
    Motherboard - MSI P55 GD80
    Video Card - MSI GTX 275 Twin Frozr OC 896MB - will overclocking this by about 5-10%
    PSU - Corsair 750TX
    CPU - Intel Core i5 750 2.66 Ghz - will overclock this to about 3.6 Ghz
    RAM - G.Skill DDR3 1600 Ripjaws Series 4GB (2x2)
    Hard Drive - WD Caviar Black 640GB
    Case - Antec 900

Any suggestions on what I could do to improve, or whether the system is good enough would be greatly appreciated. I still have some money left over, and returning something would not be a problem, so please, feel free to throw in any suggestions you might have.

Thank you,

Sebastian

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It looks fine to me. I am not a fan of msi mb however that is me. I prefer either asus, gigabyte, or foxconn boards.

Just remember; "Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace"

3. BG-0

BG-0

If you put that much into the mobo, you could've gotten an i7 860 instead, but if you think an OCed 750 is enough, so be it. Don't assume it will go to 3.6 or anything though, the chips are all individuals.
    WD Caviar Black is the slowest (write throughput comparison) of the current performance models from WD, SG and Samsung. Samsung Spinpoint F3 is the fastest, Barracuda 7200.12 is the second, Caviar Black slowest. Price goes in opposite order. You might want to rethink that, get a 1 TB drive while you're at it, that also gives a slight performance boost.
    GTX275 is outdated and overpriced, I would really recommend a 5850 to a new rig. Better performance, DX11 support...

4. brigada37

brigada37 Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the quick replies, guys. About the motherboard, I have always used ASUS, but with this one, I just happened to run into a few reviews of it, and wow, it is serioiusly considered to be one of the best (if not the best) P55 board out there for Core i5 and i7 machines. Just look at some reviews for it from Guru3D or HardOCP, for example. They are amazing.

As for overclocking, yeah I will definately be careful and won't expect anything from it. As for the CPU, I think will stick with the i5 and just overclock it. I will also stick with the GTX 275, as I have had horrible luck with ATI's drivers and the 5850 costs too much (I bought the MSI GTX 275 for about $210 about 2 weeks ago).

As for the hard drives, would a different hard drive (maybe with faster write speeds) really impact gaming performance? That's all I really want to do with this machine, so I just don't want to throw anything "extra" into it that is not really needed. If that HD would really make a difference, I will definately go for the Samsung Spinpoint F3.

Finally, do you guys think my PSU is good enough for all the overclocking? I am kind of worried about it.

5. BG-0

BG-0

6. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but do you really need fast hard disks for gaming? As far as I can tell, it's only going to affect the loading of the game into the ram. Once that is done, the hard disk isn't used until you get to the next loading point. It won't affect the framerate or anything. Seems a high price to pay for just a few less seconds waiting on the load time...

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Asrock boards are designed by asus however the actual mfg is done by ecs. ECS is at or near the bottom in quality of mb makers. I have found with ecs products, it is mostly a matter of quality control. You may get a good one that will last for years. Then again you may get a real lemon that is always giving you problems.

As I said; If asus will not put their name on the board, what kind of quality do you think you will get?

Modern os are accessing the hard drive for many reasons [even while you run a game] Some of these; AV scan, hard disk defrag, etc.

8. BG-0

BG-0

Where did that Asrock lecture come from? Did it relate to anything in this thread?

9. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar

Why on earth anyone would set anti virus to run scans or have windows defrag the hard disks automatically is completely beyond me. Nor would it affect the framerate, even if it was.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Opps wrong thread. That is what happens when you work on 3~4 at once :)

11. brigada37

brigada37 Thread Starter

lol, yeah I was actually wondering where the Asrock motherboard came in. But it's all good.

As for the hard drive, I actually ran the same test (HD tach) and got some pretty cool results. The random access time was 11.4 msec, which I have asked a few people about and they said that's why the WD black is actually an amazing drive, compared to the Samsung's, which had a 13.8 msec random access time. However, my burst speed was 180 mb/sec and my average read is 83 mb/sec. By the way, why are they so low, compared to other drives in that bit-tech article?

So pretty much I am left with the hard drive. I have purchased a custom cooler for my CPU and all I'm waiting for is basically, should I go ahead with my hard drive or go with the Samsung Spinpoint F3?

Thanks guys.

12. BG-0

BG-0

Sounds quite okay. Random access should make no difference at all in games, as you will be reading from a set area. (unless your drive is awfully fragmented), but the other results don't sound all that bad.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

14. brigada37

brigada37 Thread Starter

You know, I have thought about it and decided to get 2 Samsung Spinpoint F3's, put them in Raid 0, and short stroke them (haha....yeah). The WD Caviar Black is not bad, but it's a little loud, in my opinion. I can handle fan noise, because it's constant, but the hard drive noise is so annoying in my oppinion; sounds like it's grinding coffee beans or something.

Guys, what do you think of this cooler? I think it might be better than the arctic freezer cooler, because it's a bigger fan and has more heatpipe contact. Plus, great reviews on the web:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=hyper 212 plus

And what do you think of the Raid 0 setup?

Thanks for all your help guys, this is an amazing forum.

15. BG-0

BG-0

Hyper 212, Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 120, Xigmatek Dark Knight S-1283V, etc etc are higher performance than the AC Freezer, but do sacrifice some convenience.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!