1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is this most likely the power inverter gone bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bascotie, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm working on a Toshiba Satellite A105 laptop. The laptop suddenly went dark while in use and now the screen stays dark. In a dark room, with a flash light on the screen, you can kind of make out a picture. I wanted to confirm that this is most likely a power inverter issue before ordering the part. If anyone could help i'd really apprecaite it, thanks!

**************SOLVED***********************:

Here is the solution for anyone interested: As I did some troubleshooting I found that the screen had a pinkish hue which an article mentioned that that usually means there is a problem with the BULB, not the INVERTER. What had me confused is that unplugging the cable from motherboard to inverter brought the bulb on for a second, but unplugging the BULB from the INVERTER did not bring the bulb on, so I thought 'maybe it is the power inverter.' I then took out the LCD monitor from an old dell laptop and hooked it up the the bad HP laptop with the HP'S POWER INVERTER to rule out whether it was the inverter or the bulb. Monitor came on just fine, which means the BULB WAS THE PROBLEM AFTER ALL, otherwise the bulb would flicker just like the bulb from the hp laptop did. Cheers!

2. Sponsor

3. monckywrench

monckywrench

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    More than likely id say yes the lights in the screen have failed.

5. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Thanks,

I'll check out the troubleshooting tips. I don't wanna replace the inverter if it is just a bulb =/

6. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

That was a great article, thanks! My question to you guys is.. is there a universal inverter and/or backlight you can use to troubleshoot this kind of issue so you can be sure before ordering the part for it?

7. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Ok so I took apart the LCD assembly. The screen DOES have a very purple hue that comes on for a second then the screen goes out. I found the disocnnecting/reconnecting the inverter board while it's on brings the picture back for a moment then i hear a 'fizz' and it goes out again. According to the article it's a backlight issue when you see the purple hue. Any input on this?

Update: Unplugging the lcd from the motherboard and plugging it back into power inverter makes the bulb light up for a second then fizzle away, but unplugged the BULB side of the power inverter and plugging it back in does nothing. Would this mean that the power inverter is bad afterall?

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    ive only had one screen go bad and that was on a 9 year old laptop. because of its age i decided to junk it and salvage the hard drive.if i ever get a screen problem again depending on the age i have friends that repair computers for a living and ill let them handle it.so im afraid im not much help on this.

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Good luck if you try to replace the backlight, it's a very fiddly job.

10. monckywrench

monckywrench

11. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I've taken out the old ccfl bulb which is very a very fragile job and now waiting on the other. God willing it looks simple enough to replace, just putting it together might be a little bit of a pain..

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!