1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Is this router better then the one I have got at the moment? Please help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ancell, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ancell

Ancell Thread Starter

Hope I posted in this the right section was stuck between networking & hardware.

Anyway at the moment I am currently using:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/48546

and am thinking of buying:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-024-TP&groupid=46&catid=1596&subcat=

I want to improve the signal around my house, I cant support N but I think the TP-Link runs G mode aswell, also with 3x antennas, am I correct to say this would improve the signal alot?

Thanks in advance.

"I was going to go with this originally"

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169923 with http://www.ebuyer.com/product/118637
    to replace my current router ... http://www.ebuyer.com/product/48546

Any advice much appreciated. I really just want to order something new asap

Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The signal strength of the TP-Link router should be considerably stronger than your Netgear even when using a 802.11g adapter. Also, it has detachable antennas so you could replace them with hi-gain ones if necessary.

3. Ancell

Ancell Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

The reason behind wanting a new router, apart from boosting my wireless for my xbox etc... is that my laptop just keeps losing connection alot, I have changed channel but no help, also it cant even find other networks where as it use to... my dads laptop would find around 9-10 wireless networks, When I first got this laptop I could sit in my garden and have the wireless working, now just a bedroom across from where the router is I get around 2 bars.

If I went downstairs... I could only wish to get a connection for this laptop, I took it to pcworld for them to check out the problem a few months ago which was free because of my insurance, and they said they couldn't see a problem as the wireless worked in there shop. I am stuck on what to do, I dont want to take it pcworld to see if my wireless card is damaged, because they would charge £100 something which is a £10 job just to check.

I dont know much about laptops only pc's I tried to check inside my laptop.. but the screws are scratched, not sure why, maybe from my free check up which I mentioned.

Also with speedtest.net I am getting 1mb/s download speed while my dads laptop next to mine is getting 16mb/s, my laptop never use to be like this :|

I am kind of puzzled on what to do

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check your speed with an ethernet connection to determine if you have a wireless issue or a more general issue with the laptop.

If you are running a Windows system, for somewhere 6 to 12 feet from the router and then from where you want to use the laptop please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. Identify your network if it is not obvious.

5. Ancell

Ancell Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Im pretty new to all this with wireless and stuff, Going to download the program now and give it a spin, will post screen shot hopefully If its not to hard to know what I have to screen shot, I am now on a wired connection via laptop and speedtest is giving me a 19mbps download speed.

Here is the screen shot I hope its right:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4920/wireless2.jpg

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It would be nice to have stronger signal, but that one should be strong enough to not seriously degrade the speed. Is that near the router? In the next room? In the garden?

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site.

7. Ancell

Ancell Thread Starter

Windows said I had the latest driver, I did how ever find a different one on the realtek website, gave that a try and no luck... Im always losing connection. The router is just in the other room, not far at all from where I am.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes whatever driver Windows finds will work. Sometimes the driver direct from the adapter manufacturer's web site will work. Sometimes the motherboard or PC manufacturer has to modify the driver to work in that particular system. Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site. :)

Assuming you can access the wireless card by removing a cover on the bottom (one or two screws) check to make sure the antenna leads are secure. Unplug the machine and remove the battery when opening the cover.

9. Ancell

Ancell Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

I cant access my laptop to check my wireless card because a couple of screws are scratched I dont know how I can only guess that happened when I sent it off for a free service with the techguys (pc world).

I think I may contact them again and see what they can offer.

As for the drivers, My wireless card (Realtek RTL8187SE Wireless LAN) I have looked on the manufactures website off my laptop, but they dont have the drivers for my laptop.. but do give the sites off others such as nvidia and intel etc, I got my latest drivers from realtek website which are the latest for the "Realtek RTL8187SE"

I think its most likely something wrong with the wireless card inside like you mentioned maybe the antenna or something,

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you said that earlier I took it to mean just a cosmetic thing. Guess you mean that the slots are ruined so that a screwdriver cannot work. If a repair shop did that and left them like that I shudder to think what they may have done inside the machine. :(

I agree with you that this does not seem to be a driver issue, but it often is so I always feel I have to keep hammering on that theme until all options have been explored.

11. Ancell

Ancell Thread Starter

I never have liked pc world... personally I think its way over priced and when you go in sometimes you see a section where they do repairs.. and on the board you see signs like.. £50 for a virus check or £100 for a graphics card upgrade.. For someone who knows how to replace a graphics card etc.. Its a 5 minute job with no effort.. But I dont know nothing about laptops which I hate, Wish my college had did laptops instead of computers, Even when a battery dies on a laptop sometimes to replace the battery its around £100 where the laptop cost only around £150.

Anyway I will get my mum to ring up after Christmas as she is a women and they go easier and offer more :eek:

With the driver problem, Just to add... I am on windows 7 at the moment, But this problem has been going on for sometime, It use to happen when I was on windows vista, which is what the laptop came with, it also has a recovery option built in. To restore it to factory settings, I tried this once and it didn't solve the problem.

The thing that winds me up is pc world over the phone said the wireless was working in there shop. I bet they never walked to the other side of the shop :|

Have a good Christmas, thanks again.

I will probably order a new router and as I said get my mum to phone, and see what they can do.

Unless there is any last resorts?

12. Ancell

Ancell Thread Starter

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    They use the electrical wiring to network across and the two plugs code/decode the network signal
    can be useful , but i know a few people where they have not been very good and sit in drawers unused

14. Ancell

Ancell Thread Starter

Thanks, Along side my laptop problem, I have wanted to get a better signal in my room for my xbox,

I dont know much around wireless etc, I'm not sure the best bet would be to buy a new router? repeater? if so I dont know how I would set them up (repeater), or if it would work with my router.. I'm not sure on what's the best option for me.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There's really no way to predict what will be better.

In general Repeaters (or Range Extenders) seem to be difficult to setup, and they slow the network a little (because they receive a packet and then rebroadcast it).

If you can buy Homeplugs that you can return for no cost that would be ideal. When they work people really like them. But, as etaf already said, there is no guarantee they will work at all. Depends a lot on the quality of your electrical system.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice