1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Isolating one network from another

Discussion in 'Networking' started by S.G.C., Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. S.G.C.

S.G.C. Thread Starter

Hi,

I currently have two routers hooked up, because I share an Internet connection with other people and don’t want those people to have access to my computers. I also use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 on one of my PCs and use that to test out new programs that I am unsure of. Once in a while you will get a program infected with malware and I don’t want to infect everyone else. That’s where I thought the secondary router would come in handy.

I am pretty tech savvy for the most part, but when it comes to networking stuff I am new.

I already tried pinging a computer on the main network from the secondary network and it said it sent 4, and lost 4. Now, in my mind this means I have succeed in isolating the two networks. Is this correct?

I also check the Default Gateway IP addresses, one is xxx.xxx.0.x and the other is xxx.xxx.1.xxx

I read online that this means there on two different subnets. Is this correct?

NOTE: Having everyone move to the secondary network so that I am on the main network is out of the question.

Thanks everyone!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have two routers daisy-chained--the second's WAN port is connected to a LAN port on the first router, right?

The second router's "natural firewall" (NAT layer) will protect the computers on its LAN from computers on the first router's LAN.

Since you "don’t want those people to have access to my computers" your computers should be connected to the second router and their computers connected to the first router.

3. S.G.C.

S.G.C. Thread Starter

Yes, I have a cable plugged into the LAN port from the first router (Public Router) and the other end of that cable is plugged into the WAN port on the second router (My Router).

So then you’re saying the computers on the opposite network can’t talk to each other and I don’t have to worry about them getting into my stuff or me accidently infecting the rest of the network as long as I am on the second router and they are on the first?

Sorry if I am confusing you.

Thanks for your help!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Right.

Wrong. While not likely I wouldn't guarantee it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!