1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Issues with Media on windows vista/Questions about dell reinstall CD's

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JohanTheMighty, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohanTheMighty

JohanTheMighty Thread Starter

Hi, I'm not sure if anybody has had this same issue, but here goes:

After dropping a bunch of money on a Dell Inspiron with Windows Vista, I encountered an issue with playing music off the hard drive. I transferred all of my music from my external hard-drive (downloaded from CD's, not the net) onto the hard disk and then started it up. Regardless of whether I'm using Windows Media Player 11, Media Direct, the Media Center, no matter what I use, when each song is almost over (usually 10-20 seconds remaining) you hear what sounds like a CD skipping. It lliterally sounds like there is a CD in there and that it's skipping. Now, this only goes on for about two seconds or so, but it does so on every single song.

Incidently, I do not have this issue with my wifes Inspiron, which runs Windows XP home - it plays the files like a champ, which was my reason for purchasing one myself.

Anyway, Dell tech support tried for a couple hours to fix it, and then informed me that they were gonna have to forward the issue to some other people, that it's probably something to do with the new OS. So, while I wait 1 to 2 weeks for their response, let me ask everyone the following questions:

1) Has anybody experienced this same issue and managed to get it fixed? If so, how? Even a complete reinstall failed to fix the problem for me, so if anybody has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate hearing them.

2) One of my friends has a dell reinstall CD for Windows XP Professional that he's not using because he upgraded to Vista on his rig. Can anybody tell me whether or not I can use this CD to install XP pro on my computer, will it function? He said something about the sticker on the bottom of my computer, but it's a product code for Vista, not XP and I'd hate to wipe away my recovery partition just to find out it won't accept the product code.

Any answers and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. tjamnz

tjamnz

Sorry to hear about the music skips.

Yes it will install and run with original key. However it will work for only 30 days. limited update functions as well, as the original ver was upgraded on his machine. There's a diff between full release and upgrade cd's, as you need previous os installed for upgrade cd to install... so no.. Your friend cant give away his xp pro licence to you.

Dell should find a solution, theyve helped me out a few times. If this IS a vista/audio related driver (software)issue, they will hear about it from other users with your system and a solution will be sent to their development team im sure. If not... Hey... Dell just may replace your entire pc for free!!!

3. JohanTheMighty

I'm sorry, I should clarify, a bit about the XP Professional:

When I say he upgraded, I meant that he bought the full version of vista ultimate edition and did a clean install, completely removing the windows XP professional from his machine in the process.

I'm sorry for the confusion, I actually knew that I wouldn't be abe to use a product he wasl already using still. So, does that make a difference then? Would I be able to use the disk to install his XP Pro without any problems?

Thanks again for your help.

4. tjamnz

tjamnz

I think that would entirely depend upon wether or not he registered his product, or skipped the process when he did the initial istall... Im talking about, the part just after intallation where he has the option to fill in his name, address, phone number etc... its worth a shot!

However once the product has been registered with a particular pc, it creates a harware profile specific to that machine and updates with microsoft as well.

As far as the legality, thats a good question because, ethically it makes sense at least to me... If i have a product and dont use it anymore, i should be able to give it away etc,
    as long as im really not using it.

(i think your situation is alot different than lets say, someone trying to copy the disk and use a crack etc)

What i would do.. is install it while i was waiting for dell to resolve my issue.. that way you could listen to your tunes until you get an official response or resolution.

im thinkin' you have some kind of mobo or other harware audio/issue, becuase you said your songs didnt play well just after a fresh install of vista. & Im assuming you tried to play your tunes before installing any additional audio player software (like winamp etc) also after your re-install, which would be worth a try, if you havent done it already

5. JohanTheMighty

I think it's a hardware issue as well, because it's not just the Windows Media Player that I have the issues with, it's Media Direct and Media Center as well. It even does it if I play the music files already on the computer without installing my own music files. Thanks for the help.

6. tjamnz

tjamnz

No problem. At this point Im just hoping you'll post the solution when dell gets back to ya.

thanks!

7. ammillernet

ammillernet

I am having the same exact issue. And it is something with the final release of Windows Vista. I used to have XP Media Center on my Inspiron and then upgraded to the Vista Release Candidate (RC1) and did NOT have the issue. So, to clarify on one of your posts, it's not a hardware issue, it's a software issue (it could even be as specific as a driver issue, but that's a stretch). Media Center, WMP 11, and Media Direct all use the same platform and are, therefore, all utilizing the same errored code.

About XP Pro. It is a DELL OEM, so when you install it, it will not ask you for the product code. Once you install, you will not be able to activate it and you'll have to call Microsoft to activate it. Simply explain to them that you reformatted the computer and it said to call. The Dell reinstall CD is a full OEM version, so it'll install fine and you'll be able to get it to work fully if you're willing to tell a white lie (my best friend currently uses my XP Media Center now that I'm using Vista).

I personally wouldn't do that. I'd wait for Dell and Microsoft to figure out what's wrong with Vista. I've been using Vista since it's release last fall and it's a lot better than XP, just all around. The skipping won't damage anything, it's just an annoyance that'll be fixed. It's something with a memory buffer underrun. So, all that to be said. I'd wait it out instead of reformatting your computer to put XP back on it and then to reformat again when you put vista back on. (I just had to uninstall video drivers because they were crap, so it is annoying, but things like this are to be expected with the initial release of a new OS.)

8. tjamnz

tjamnz

Ive used many other oem's and they always ask for a product code etc, and my dell?
    I just got it, so Ive never reformatted yet to see if this was true or not, but ill take ammillernet's word for it on not having to enter in the key with my copy (for now). Except I would reinstall XP. resinstalls are so easy to do. I sensed your urgency with your pc's ability to play music. so therefore...

if you want to take ammillernet's advice and you may not have music for a few months,
    or take my advice and worse case scenario, they come out with a patch next week and you can reinstall vista.
    I did quite a bit a research on vista, reading quite a few pc trade magazines, articles etc. and the concensus was
    to wait a while before upgrading (pc mag rating) Vista is a worthy successor to Windows XP and very stable for a new release. We'd recommend waiting for better driver and application support before expecting top performance though

You can really learn alot about computers (partitioning, formatting etc) by performing re-installs. Its not that tough, just look up "installing-xp" or "installing-vista" on google.

If your car doesnt run right... you put in a part that makes it work right, until the dealer recall is complete. capiche? lol jk :)

I do have an xp pro licence key sticker on the bottom of my notebook ..... hmmm wonder why id ever need that lol

9. JohanTheMighty

Yeah, I read all of that stuff too. Unfortunately, I didn't have a choice on what operating system I was going to get with this because Vista was the only option, unless I went with an XPS system and you know how overpriced those are. I really needed a computer for my graduate studies too, as my motherboard on my 6 year old PC just finally couldn't take it anymore and left me for mobo heaven.

10. tjamnz

tjamnz

wow.. those xps's sure look sweet. 3 or 4 g's... i think i'll wait a few years... Im thnking notebook systems with those specs should be just under a grand in a few years. and i can hardly wait. Im mean really... think of the price of a core duo chip in a few years probably 1/2 to a third of the price, 256 shared vid memory will no big deal, and ram will only come down in price too.

I wonder what cost is, on boxes like these? close to 1000 bucks? I think companies must make a killing on gaming pcs as opposed to a 600 dell notebook... which they probably dont make more than a buck or two (figuratively speaking)

Im basing my opintion on the fact that high performance motherboards these days are relatively inexpensive if you shop around. Its really only the processor, video card and RAM that make any of the difference. I bet i could build a sys like an xps, but a desktop version... if i lookied around on tiger direct for about 1200 bucks..."same performance" and speeds, "All the way!"

11. JohanTheMighty

I agree, I think Dell makes a killing on those machines right now, especially when you consider that with the internet you can shop around for all of your parts. Heck, they even make a killing on the inspirons. Notice the incredible amount they charge for upgrades. For memory, Dell charges close to $200.00 to have 2 gigs installed INSTEAD of 1. That just blows my mind. I mean, it's one thing if it's 2 gigs "in addition" to the one gig that comes standard, but "instead of" for $200???

Hell, we all know you can buy the whole two gigs for a lot less at places like newegg and buy.com. Still though, I'd love to test one of those XP's out at the very least; see what I'm getting for the extra two grand.

12. tjamnz

tjamnz

Oh well.. Im off topic a bit but i just had to post this info... couldnt help myself

tiger direct website (xcept for windows xp pro at pricegrabber, there were dozens of vendors that sold it for under 100 bucks, also most vista upgrades were around 100 bucks on tiger direct. all other hardware is off of tigerdirect.com)

I hand picked component that look good and will get the job done and the same or nearly the same speeds as the xps variety hardware specs)

1. Really cool case, blue lights, see through side panel w 450w power supply $39.99
    2. 256MB Radeon ATI X1950 pci-express $225.00
    3. Asus extreme gaming mobo M2N-MX $84.99
    4. 2Gigs of DDR2 $200.00
    5. Intel duo-core w' fan 2.13 GHz 239.00
    6. XP pro new in package/pricegrabber.com under 100 / or vista upgrade around 100.
    7. Quality laser mouse and keyboard $75.00 or less
    8. 250 GB SATA Hard drive $60
    ....and last but not least the
    9. L12-1128 1. Lite-On LH-20A1P SuperAllwrite / 20x DVD±R Burn / 16x DVD±R Read / 8x DVD+RW / 6x DVD-RW / 8x DVD±R DL / 12x DVD-RAM / 48x32x CD-R/RW / Black / DVD Burner for $40 bucks.

(the only rebate item was the SATA HDD.)

Amazing sys for just $1064 maybe add 30 bucks for shipping (just under 1100)

Extreme Gaming is within reach after all!

13. HectorAP

HectorAP

I had a different problem with WMP11, as explained in the post I made about it...but I could not find nor figure out a solution...minus restoring the original install. As much of a pain as it is, it seemed the only way around the issue I was having. I don't think it relates to your issue, but WMP11 seems to be the buggiest vista application so far, as I've read about many diff issues about it and vista, so far.

14. tjamnz

tjamnz

Thats why im holdin out with vista probably until mid summer. Im assuming all the vendors and common bugs will be ironed out by then. Id rather read about em then experience them first hand lol. Im reviewing vista now with cbt training so i can keep up to date with its newer features. Anyways...I really like what im seeing so far! I cant wait to purchase ultimate ed.

15. tjamnz

tjamnz

You said: "Still though, I'd love to test one of those XP's out at the very least; see what I'm getting for the extra two grand"

4 sure, 4 sure... I agree

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice