1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Issues with Wired Internet "Unable to Contact Your DHCP Server"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tech.dude, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

This morning my internet stopped working on my computer, and stays at "Limited or No Connectivity".

My computer is hooked up to a router with an ethernet cord, and that router is hooked up to my modem. There is also another computer hooked up by ethernet cord to the router, and I use the wifi a lot for my iPod. Both work fine, it's just the internet on my computer that doesn't seem to work.

So far I've ruled out any problems with the modem, router, ethernet cable and network card. I even went out and bought a new ethernet cable to see if that might fix the problem, but it didn't. Right now I'm in safe mode on my computer and the internet works fine, so the problem doesn't appear to be with my ethernet card.

I've tried unplugging and leaving both the router and modem for a few minutes, changing the cable to a different port on the router, hitting the reset switch on the modem and router, and ipconfig release/renew, but when I try ipconfig /renew it tells me "Unable to Contact Your DHCP Server".

After searching for quite some time and trying various things, my internet still won't work.

2. sp3851

sp3851

Make sure that the DHPC is set to Automatic on the PC.
    Check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. The DHCP Client service should be Started and its Startup Type should be Automatic.

3. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

I already checked that. It's on automatic and it's running.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most likely a non-Windows firewall or security suite, or maybe even some other security application, that is mis-configured, corrupted, out of date or was uninstalled but did not go away completely. What security programs do, or did, you have on the machine?

Your ability to access the internet in Safe Mode with Networking (at least I assume that's what you meant) does indeed say the hardware is OK and the culprit is software.

5. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

It was Spyware Doctor. I installed it last night. After I removed it and restarted, my internet worked again.

Thanks.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice