1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: It was a short.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Inglonias, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inglonias

Inglonias Thread Starter

So, I was watching stuff on Youtube, when all of a sudden, my computer shut down and would not start back up. I opened the computer and fiddled with the wire that I had fiddled with earlier in the day (It was the front panel audio connector), and tried turning the computer on. It began to start up and one of the fans started roaring. A flash, and the wire to that fan was cut before I shut down the power.

So... yeah...

My first guess is that the power supply is bad, because it's a three year old Raidmax unit. But I don't know for sure. I know the drill about trying a known good power supply, but to hell with logic right now! I'm too busy panicking for logic! Someone tell me if it's safe to keep fiddling with the computer right now before I switch the PSU! I've got plenty of gift card money for an online computer store, so a new PSU wouldn't cost me much, if anything at all.

EDIT: It turns out I crushed the wire I was fiddling with, or it shorted. Not sure. I think the mystery has been solved, but I want to make sure.

EDIT 2: Yeah, it was a short.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice