Solved: It was working, now its not

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TerryNet

Terry
Don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but what's that "Microsoft Loopback Adapter" on the broken computer?

Your broken PC is getting its IP config dynamically while your others have static IP configurations assigned. That's no problem as long as the static IP assignments do not conflict with the router's Dhcp address range.

Onsite: I think you skipped over a line--the only wireless I see says "Media disconnected." :)

PS. I have not made any chages to the firewall settings
TURN OFF YOUR FIREWALL

i think i would tend to make all of the clients DHCP or all static, one or the other

That's no problem as long as the static IP assignments do not conflict with the router's Dhcp address range.
very good point

CStinson

Guys,

Thanks for your advice. I have solved it and am posting the cause here in the hope that it will help others.

I have still not touched the firewall settings. (It is enabled) I knew I had not touched them in the first place and so they should not be the issue.

As a precaution I removed the loop back adapter. Again this had been in place for a year and so I do not believe it was the cause.

It seems that when I had the lap top out on a client's site and connected to the client I must have changed the Home Office network name from WORKGROUP to MSHOME. I have no recollection of doing this, and still am puzzeled how it happened. Once I discovered the network name was incorrect, I fixed it, then ran the home network wizard and it all worked again.

Cheers
Cliff

Yes, if I remember correctly, if you change some network settings, or basically mess around with the network at all, Windows likes to change the workgroup name to MSHOME.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online