1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Its is SAFE Purchasing RAM from Different Stores?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hulk701, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned Thread Starter

Hey Gang,

I'm in the market to buy some more RAM. Should I pay a higher price and purchase it from the same brick 'n mortar store I purchased the first stick from; or would I be safe going online to Crucial and save a few bucks?

Its listed as the same ram, but the reason I ask is that a lot of time RAM has minor differences to it, for example buffered vs non-buffered, ECC vs. Non-ECC etc.

I'm getting DDR PC2700.

I'm guess I'm asking about system compatibility. If there were minor differences in each stick, would it affect my system?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

It can affect your system, but with DDR 333, you should be OK. If you're looking for Crucial, go to their website and plug in your computer or motherboard model and it will tell you exactly what you can and can't use. Mixing speeds will clock the faster stuff down to the lowest speed--the system bus can only run at one speed...

But different brands won't hurt anything. I have several machines with RAM I couldn't identify and added Kingston RAM. They all work great. Got the performance boost I was looking for. These were office Dells that came with 256MB of RAM and XP Pro--go figure.

3. jmtechserv

jmtechserv

"buffered vs non-buffered, ECC vs. Non-ECC" are not minor differences. Buy what the
    motherboard supports. Don't worry about the store. DDR seems to work well across vendors.

4. Hulk701

I guess what I meant was, what if one stick was say, unbuffered or non-ecc and the other was buffered or ecc? Would the two sticks still work together?

5. stantley

stantley

No, for the most part non-ECC won't work with ECC and unbuffered won't work with buffered. If you need PC2700 then chances are it's unbuffered non-ECC.

What kind of computer do you have and what kind of memory do you have?

Go here http://www.crucial.com/index.asp and put in the make and model of your computer and it will tell you what you need.

6. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

I tend to not mix different brands of RAM on a system, due to their internal factory differences, latencies and tolerances. However, it is completely safe to purchase RAM from any numerous vendors or stores. It's the same product.

ECC and non-ECC are different types of RAM, where ECC is designed for servers, and non ECC is designed for everything else. (Easiest way I can explain it).

What motherboard and processor do you have?

7. Hulk701

CPU is an Athlon 2600

Motherboard is an Epox 8KMM3I-X

According to the manual I can take DDR PC 2700 Unbuffered, Non-ECC.

I purchased my first stick of RAM from CompuCareand I purchased my second stick from Crucial.

I just wanted to make sure there weren't any problems with compatibility. If I hear whistles blowing and see smoke and lightning coming out of my computerwhen I install it I'll know I should have gotten the second stick from CompuCare...:confused: :eek: :eek: :D :p

(even though I saved $12.00 by buying it from Crucial....(y) )

8. stantley

stantley

You're good to go.

So if you see smoke and lightning coming out of your computer, you'll know it's not coming from the memory. ;) :D

9. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Never used unmatched pairs, you will only have to pay the cost in the future!

10. Hulk701

I don't understand your comment? Are you saying it won't work?:confused:

11. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hi,

What i am saying is it may work for a while, but sooner or later the RAM will stop working together, it's only time until it happens. You should only use RAM that is matched and is exactly the same and from the same manufacturer.

Regards,
    Nick.

12. Hulk701

Well I got the RAM today and it seems to be working well. One thing is didn't count on was the original stick was double-sided and the new stick is single sided.

My computer seems to be working faster and I haven't had any major crashes yet.:D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice