1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: It's me AGAIN !!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Dedcert, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dedcert

Dedcert Thread Starter

When I click on a link on www.space.com ( it's just a link to a video ) DEP keeps closing FF.I don't know what to do. It's not a prog so I can't choose to use the feature "turn on DEP for all progs and services except those I select". Is it possible somehow to find out what type of prog/whatever "space.com" is trying to run and somehow sort it out that way? I'm not too tech-savvy (as those of you who have helped me in the past will know) so words of one syllable and cartoon drawings only please !! LOL . ANYBODY HELP??????

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What is this DEP thing that you are talking about as there are way to many things it could be?

3. Dedcert

Dedcert Thread Starter

If all three comments above are aimed at me - DON'T BOTHER REPLYING !!!! If you don't know what Data Execution Prevention is, perhaps you're not the person to be answering this question !! I'm looking for help from understanding people, NOT someone with a SUPERCILIOUS ATTITUDE. All the necessary information WAS in my original post and not once did I use "LIKE". If anyone else is willing to help without the snide comments, here is exactly what happened. I clicked on the link " Zoom in - Milky Way Star Factories " ( which is on this page just before the "Comments" start ) - http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/081014-st-infant-stars.html - and a couple of seconds after the page started to load, DEP closed Firefox saying it had prevented a programme from running as it might damage the system. I think I might have to change one or more of the Security Settings in "Internet Properties" but I have no idea which ones or even if it is safe to do so. I just got a friend to click on the same link (also running Vista Home Premium) and with him all that happened was that Firefox stopped a pop-up which was a small window telling him he had to download "Viewpoint Media Player" in order to watch the video presentation on the linked page. I can't think of any other info which would be of help so if anyone (friendly) wants to give me some advice on how to sort this out, PLEASE HELP. I'll be GENUINELY GRATEFUL..

4. beefy

beefy

Sorry, just read the end of your post about Viewpoint d/l.

Nevermind

Attached Files:

5. Dedcert

Dedcert Thread Starter

Thanks Beefy - I went to the download site for VMP and it seems it's not compatible with FF3 anyway, so it's all been for nothing. What a bummer !! At least your reply got me somewhere unlike previous ones !! Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice