1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: iTunes not connected to the network

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by 2356890147, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2356890147

2356890147 Thread Starter

Hi all, I just recently updated iTunes to the newest version. I believe it's 8.1 or something. I lost count of the the number of updates they have. In the last version I could connect to the Store and what-not, but since I have updated it, I can't connect to the store at all, and I get the: "iTunes could not connect to the iTunes Store. The network connection was refused. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again." message. The thing is, my internet works fine. I'm connected to AIM 6 and MSN Messenger, as well as typing this on the same computer as the defective iTunes. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but that hasn't worked. And just recently my Norton 360 stopped working, also. So I currently don't have a virus scanner. I tried Spyware S&D, recommended from a friend, and when I tried to download it I got a similar message about not being connected to the network. Any suggestions?

Besides switching to Verizon, 'cause they have "The Network". (Actual suggestion from a buddy of mine) -.-

2. 2356890147

3. 2356890147

Bump. Anyone?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What security, anti-virus, anti-spyware, or firewall software do you have installed? One of them is likely blocking iTunes and other applications.

5. 2356890147

Like I said, Norton 360 is no longer working, so the only thing I have is the Windows Firewall. The only thing I use this computer for is listening to music and downloading music. So I figured I didn't need any seeing as there is no personal data being transferred anywhere.

6. 2356890147

7. Compu-Tek

Compu-Tek

Your Norton 360 is most likely the issue. Anti-virus programs like Norton or McAfee will do odd things to a network if there is a problem with their software.

I have seen it many times when working full time in a repair computer repair shop. You need to uninstall Norton and search you hard drive for Norton and Symantec directories and delete them as well and if your Norton subscription has not run out reinstall Norton.

If you are still having problems you may need to take it to a shop where they can go through the registry and remove Norton from there as well, because even though you have uninstalled Norton it still leaves stuff in the registry.

8. Compu-Tek

Compu-Tek

PS

As long as your computer is connected to the Internet you will always need an Anti-virus program...NO MATTER WHAT. Due to the fact that malware can hide viruses inside itself and any time you are connected to the Internet you are subject to malware intrusions.

9. 2356890147

Finally got it working. Took a System Recovery, and reinstalling everything to do it, but I finally got it. Thanks guys.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice