1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Itunes

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by buf, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

Wife has had it with version 7 of this Apple software. Anyone know any good software available to replace itunes? Am not opposed to paying for something good but neither will she turn down any good freeware. I think she just doesn't like any of that software anymore!As usual, TIA.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Has she used iTunes to purchase music from the iTunes store? If so, there is no simple and legal way to get those songs into another music program. There is a "royal pain in the ***" way though.

Is she using iTunes with an iPod? There is other software available for managing iPods. My daughter uses Winamp to manage her music library of MP3 and AAC files on an iPod Video. My wife uses Winamp with her Creative Zen player.

3. ferrija1

ferrija1

Winamp and WMP are both good choices.

4. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for replying. I know nada about the software; nor her Ipod. She is away shopping today so any "deep" questions will have to be un-answered.
    Chuck, she isn't trying to transfer any music she has purchased from the itunes store and stored on her hard drive. I tried this AM to use Quicktimealt 1.77 in lieu of Apple Qucikstart but I could not get it to work. Right now I am listening to some of the music stored on her hard drive. I have not been able to have the songs to play automatically one after the other without having to tick each song. Am pretty sure she has played songs automatically in the past week. This must have been the "thing" that really ticked her off. Apple seems to allow nothing to work with itune except their own sw. I have read of others success, however.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am not familiar with iTunes to know if there is a way to automatically sequence the playback all of the songs or groups of songs in the iTunes music library. I know that Winamp let you build up a quick playlist where you can determine which songs are played and their order. It also as a shuffle function to randomize the playing order of a given list.

6. ferrija1

ferrija1

iTunes let's you do that too.

7. buf

buf Thread Starter

She nor I have found or learned the way to do it in itunes; that is one of the main reasons she has finally had enough of itunes.
    But tell me, is itunes and quicktime removed from the PC in order for Winamp or WMP or Quicktimealt to "take charge" and allow either of the apps to do their job of managing the music??

8. ferrija1

ferrija1

You create a playlist, put songs in it, play the first one and then it will go to the second, third, etc.
    If you set WMP or Wimamp as your default player for media types then it will automatically open when you try to play a certain type of media (that you set for that player to play) .

I'm not sure of what you mean by "take charge." You could probably export/copy and paste your iTunes library to Wimamp, not WMP though, that was one of the things that made me hate it.

9. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks for your continued help/interest in helping ferrija1.
    "Taking charge"---by that I meant take control of managing the songs and play them according to the way you described--like the software made by Apple did or should have. It would seem that the Apple sw should be removed from the hard drive so as not to interfere with Winamp or WMP; whichever she chose to use.
    BTW, when I was installing the free Quicktimealt sw I noticed that it was "registered to Apple", whatever that meant.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You do realize that uninstalling iTunes will prevent the playback of any music purchased through the itunes store or ripped from CDs into DRM protected (.MP4 filename extension) files on the computer using any other software player.

Did the installation message say that the software was registered to Apple or that the name "Quicktime" was a registered trademark of Apple?

11. buf

buf Thread Starter

Chuck, no I didn't realize that!! I thought that with the saved music on her hard drive that it could be played with WMP, for example.
    This link is to the sw that I tried to replace the Apple Quicktime sw.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm
    One of the screen shots that opened when I installed it said it was registered to Apple. That is all it said. This led me to believe that Apple was allowing it's users to use an alternate in lieu of the Quicktime that is automatically installed when itunes is installed. Sure is confusing!!

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Welcome to the restrictive world of Digital Rights Management (DRM). :mad: :mad: :mad:

The only 100% legal way to get your iTunes music purchases to play as music files in WMP would be to first use iTunes to burn audio CDs of all the tracks. You could then use WMP to rip the newly recorded audio CDs into WMA files (with your choice of with or without DRM). I believe that WMP may also give you the option of ripping to MP3 files which do not incorporate any kind of DRM.

FWiW, If you purchase WMP compatible WMA files from most any of the on-line music stores that support WMP, they will have DRM. Those songs can not be played in iTunes or on an iPod.

It is my understanding that the latest iTunes software will either stop working or have limited functionality if you remove the Apple QuickTime software and try to replace it with some other QuickTime player.

13. ferrija1

ferrija1

14. buf

buf Thread Starter

Again, I thank you for more of your added help. I 'think' I am getting an education about itunes/quicktime by Apple. Not good stuff.
    Had the kids not given my wife an Ipod these problems would not have invaded our home.
    My lack of knowledge on this subject isn't helping me to understand but with your continued help, I may just survive. She bought so few songs from itunes and doesn't care if she can't save them or not--that should help me through this. I have actually listened to some of her songs while using WMP10 and I have to assume that itunes behaved and without Apple Quicktime installed. I'm listening.
    Oh yeah. Most of the music in itunes and on her Ipod is ripped and store bought CDs.

15. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

It's not the latest version, every version I have ever used has needed QuickTime installed to work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice