1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Iyogi fraud?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Maggie14Mae, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maggie14Mae

Maggie14Mae Thread Starter

Hi, I am running Windows 7 with McAfee and recently had a red check flag that my virus protection nor windows defender were turned on. I did NOT turn them off. I tried to 'turn on' and when that didn't work, called McAfee. Well, who I thought was McAfee. Apparently either I dialed the wrong number (don't think so) or was hi-jacked. The person on the other end said he worked for McAfee. After allowing him to take remote control, I was told he could not fix the registry errors and viruses that were present on my machine (Lenovo desktop). He told me he had to transfer my call to their tech support. Still believing I was speaking with McAfee, I allowed him to transfer remote control. Suddenly, I have "Iyogi" and they are charging me a fee of $149.99 for "one year of unlimited tech support". Was this a fraud? I have found that Iyogi is an Indian company that is purportedly a legit service, but feel all of this was a misrepresentation and have placed a hold on the charge with my credit card company. Now, what do I do? I am a tech newbie and do not totally understand what they are doing. Could someone give me some advice?

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

If you did not explicitly agree to a service contract they should not be charging you, the question is how did they get your CC number? It sounds like you did not give us the full story. Regardless, if you do not want the service contract, inform your CC provider, then call iYogi back and ask for a cancellation.
    Although iYogi is in fact a legit service provider, some of their reps are known to use heavy handed tactics to rope folks into a service contract.

3. Maggie14Mae

Maggie14Mae Thread Starter

Thinking I was speaking with a division of McAfee that would provide tech support, I did give them my CC #. My last question is 'what do they really provide - what is their tech support'?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Iyogi is known for using "scare tactics" and reporting problems that don't exist so it can convince you to buy a tech support contract that's basically useless. The Better Business Bureau is full of complaints about that company.

The next time you think you have an issue with your computer, come here first. We could've easily helped you with the McAfee and Windows Defender issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. valis

valis Moderator

plus we won't ask for a cc number, and we work for free. ;)

6. yankygrey

yankygrey

I have heard of iyogi. It is legitimate independent company and they would have charged you for their service. $149 is cheap if that’s for unlimited support. As far as I know they provide support for all software so need not worry. You may think about keeping the charge as you can use the service for your computer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice