1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Jail-breaking an i-device

Discussion in 'Apple Mobile Devices' started by christadwani, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christadwani

christadwani Thread Starter

is jail-breaking an iphone/ipod/ipad legal ?
    if it is can someone update the ios system to ios 6 in an iphone then downgrade it to ios 5 and jailbreak it ?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Effective today it is not legal in the US. But phone companies and device manufacturers are not likely to go after any individual doing so to his/her own phone. In fact, phone companies will probably help you do it, at least sometimes.

3. Rearden

Rearden Banned

Late last year, The U.S. Copyright Office determined it is legal under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to jailbreak devices. Doing so likely voids the warranty, but it is legal.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you sure, Rearden? I got just the opposite impression from an article I read yesterday and from this article.

5. Rearden

Rearden Banned

That article references unlocking. That's different than jailbreaking. It looks like unlocking will become illegal, but I don't see that it mentions anything about jailbreaking.

Unlocking allows you to use the phone on a different carrier. Jailbreaking allows you to install software not approved by the OS manufacturer (Google / Android & Apple / iOS).

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks! :) Obviously I was confused.

7. Rearden

Rearden Banned

No problem. :) The two are often confused. I hadn't heard about the new change in law you linked to. That's really unfortunate for consumers.

8. christadwani

christadwani Thread Starter

ok so it's legal now can someone update the ios system to ios 6 in an iphone then downgrade it to ios 5 and jailbreak it ?

9. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

It should be illegal to sell products that are "locked down" so they have to be "jailbroken".

I certainly won't be buying any product that requires me to apply dodgy hacks to get it to work how I like. For that reason I can't really help you because I've never owned an Apple product, and I never will.

10. Barpanda

Barpanda

Just for clarification, it is illegal to jailbreak an iPad, it isn't illegal to jailbreak an iPhone. It's legal to unlock devices that aren't under carrier contract, it isn't legal to unlock those that are under contract without the permission of your carrier.

11. Rearden

Rearden Banned

Jailbreaking and unlocking are different things. I don't believe there's any distinction in the law between jailbreaking an iPad versus an iPod versus an iPhone. If you have information indicating otherwise, I'd be interested in reading it.

As an aside, Android devices are also locked down. In the case of those devices, the process to get past those restrictions is called "rooting".

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!