1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Java and Chrome

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mike0137, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike0137

mike0137 Thread Starter

I tried to update Java and got this message: "We have detected you are using Google Chrome and might be unable to use the Java plugin from this browser. Starting with Version 42 (released April 2015), Chrome has disabled the standard way in which browsers support plugins. More info"
    Now my emails take forever to open and was wondering if this is related. And is there a way around this Java thing or do I switch to IE or Firefox as they suggest?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Well, what happens if you were to use IE or FF?

3. TOGG

TOGG

It appears that there is a temporary workaround (until September); http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/14/google_java_chrome_42/

Unless there are things you have got to do that will only work with Java, uninstalling it is the way to go because it is targetted by malware. I uninstalled it a long time ago and everything I need to work still does.

4. mike0137

mike0137 Thread Starter

So what does Java do for me? I switched over to IE and have had no problems since. If Java's not needed I'll dump it.

5. TOGG

TOGG

It's possible that some websites/pages will stop working properly I suppose. I used the 'suck it and see' principle, uninstall it and see what, if anything, stops working!

If you have any serious problems you could always install Java again and keep your fingers crossed.

6. Joris903

Joris903

Google officials have mentioned this problem, here is the solutions:
    NPAPI plugins include Java and Silverlight. If you want to use Outlook Web Access (OWA), you can temporarily enable the flag below otherwise you'll need to use another browser that supports NPAPI.

However, as a temporary workaround you can enable a flag. Here’s how:
    Go to chrome://flags/#enable-npapi
    Choose Enable.
    At the bottom left of your screen, click Relaunch Now.

You can use this flag to run NPAPI plugins until Chrome version 45.

7. mike0137

mike0137 Thread Starter

Decided to go with IE, seems to run okay. Thanks for everyone's input.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice