1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Java Not Working??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tperk100, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tperk100

tperk100 Guest Thread Starter

When I scroll over thumbnails (like on eBay) my IE8 Status Bar shows a Java script message. However, nothing happens. I uninstalled and re-installed latest Java, and there are two Java entries as active IE8 add-ons. I also re-set IE8 to default. There are also other pictures besides thumbnails that don't display. Zoom and Enlarge do not work either.

Maybe it's not a Java problem at all.. Any suggestions?

Thanks much

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3070 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 74998 MB, Free - 35078 MB; D: Total - 100006 MB, Free - 70587 MB; E: Total - 715402 MB, Free - 157677 MB; W: Total - 74998 MB, Free - 74821 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5E3 Deluxe
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

To see if its IE or Java, try Firefox or Chrome and see what happens.

3. dukevyner

dukevyner

hold on... Ok most people don't know this... there's a difference between "java" and "javascript"...."Java" is a programming language as in programs on your computer "javascript" is web development language
    If you get a "Javascript" error than you most likely need to change your browser to "enable javascript" to do this in IE8 click "tools"(or the little gear in the top right) than select "internet options" open the "security" tab and Select the "Internet" area, select "Custom Level" and Click the checkbox to enable "Active Scripting" under the Scripting section(towards the bottom) and then click the OK button to apply the settings. Restart your browser this will turn on "javascript" if you find that the Active Scripting is already checked or this doesn't fix the problem... well i would try a better browser... like chrome... IE.... isn't that great anymore

4. tperk100

Veddy Intresting......I have the same problems using Chrome! It seems to be related to Java or Java scripting. Since I have uninstalled and re-installed Java, I do not know where to go from here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much.

ps. Active Scripting in IE8 is / was enabled.

5. helpful

helpful

6. tperk100

Helpful,

Thanks but this did not help.

7. dukevyner

dukevyner

... can you post the exact "javascript message" that you mentioned?

8. tperk100

Edit...The status bar says "javascript:if(typeof xzyZys==typeof alert)xzyZys();;"

There is no error message. When I scroll over a tab and/or click it, "Enlarge" for example, on eBay, I see the Java Script "link" in the status bar, but nothing happens. When I scroll over the thumbnails large pics are supposed to appear but nothing happens. On many pages of eBay auctions the main picture only shows a little icon and no pic. Again...no error messages.

Edit...I just realized that if I right click the enlarge button, and click "Properties," the box says "Unknown Protocol" and "Type not Available."

For what it is worth, I think this all started when I disabled Java Quick Starter via the Java Control Panel...accessible through Control Panel, Java, Java Control Panel, Advanced, Miscellaneous. I have since not only re-enabled Quick Starter, but have uninstalled and re-installed Java.

I don't know what to do from here.

9. dukevyner

dukevyner

hmmm thats odd... i doubt they use "java" i'm really at a loss here

10. tperk100

Duke,

Yoiu replied while I was editing. Any comments on the edited post?

Thanks

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're barking up the wrong tree here. Java has nothing at all to do with javascript. They are worlds apart.

Javascript is often disabled or hobbled by security software. Any antimalware or antivirus you have installed may have settings about "scripting". Thise settings apply to any javascript in a web page.

Check your brrowser security settings to be sure they are default and not too high. If you have security software of any kind installed, especially something like Spybot with its "immunization", you will need to turn off anything that blocks scripting.

12. tperk100

El,

Thanks.. I have re-set Browser to default....and then made sure scripting was enabled. Chrome exhibits the same behavior.

I do use Spybot Immunization and have been running it for years with no problems. This problem started way after the last time I updated Spybot and ran immunization.

Other suggestions?

13. tperk100

Folks,

I have discovered that Java Scripting does not work for me in IE8, Chrome, OR Firefox. No error messages anywhere. This is definitely a problem outside of my browsers. I have re-registered jscript.dll to no avail.

I have also UN immunized with SpyBot.

Any ideas from here?

Thanks much for your assistance.

14. TOGG

TOGG

As well as obvious 'security' programs mentioned by Elvandil, I have read that things like toolbars could prevent JS from running because they sometimes include popup blockers or advert blockers etc.

If you have anything like that installed, try disabling it/them and then run the test here;http://www.javatester.org/ Although this site is about Oracle Java, if you click on 'JavaScript' in the orange box on the left of the page, it will test to see if JavaScript is working and identify the browser and the version of JS it uses.

15. tperk100

Togg,

Thanks.....I might be back to ground zero here because the test you recommended says java script is working in my browser.

Let me state my symptoms in another way. In any of my three browsers when I go to eBay and other sites and I scroll over a thumbnail, nothing happens. What is supposed to happen is that the main picture changes to the scrolled over thumbnailed pic. When I actually click on the thumbnail, nothing happens.

Also when I click on the "Enlarge" button, nothing happens. I guess I assumed this was a JS problem because when I scroll over the "Enlarge" button a JS message (command or whatever it is) displays in my IE8 status bar.

Given this new info, anyone have any idea of how to fix this?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice