1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Java sandbox

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Rocs747, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocs747

Rocs747 Thread Starter

Hello everyone! I just have a question about the security of Java lately. I have uninstalled Java and have not done the most recent patches that Oracle has released. I have read that there are still problems with Java's sandbox and it isn't secure even with the most recent patches. I keep checking but I haven't been able to find any information lately about if it has been corrected (the sandbox). I have Windows 7 service pack 1 and I'm really good about keeping my anti-virus up to date and running regular scans. Has anyone heard if Java's sandbox has been fixed? My main sources of info are CNet and PC World. Thank you for any additional info that anyone can provide. Have a great day!

2. ChumCaster

ChumCaster Banned

Welcome to TechGuy, Rocs747. I'd say the short answer is that Java isn't ever going to be secure. It runs on too many operating systems, tries to be compatible with too many older apps, and the underlying design dates from an era before security challenges were anywhere close to being as sophisticated as today's threats. Java could be radically overhauled at the cost of losing functionality for older apps, so Oracle is reluctant to do that. If you don't actually have any applications that require Java, uninstall it, remove the updater, and call it good.

3. Rocs747

Rocs747 Thread Starter

Wow thank you for your reply ChumCaster. I rarely use Java at least that I know. I have uninstalled it 2 or 3 weeks ago and have hardly noticed any difference except with Google Chrome on some sites but for now I am going to leave it off. Thanks again for your reply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!