1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Javascript Issue?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Snozzberries, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snozzberries

Snozzberries Thread Starter

Hi there! I think I might be having a Javascript issue, not totally sure. My Java & Flash are up-to-date. My browser (Google Chrome) is up-to-date as well. I'm having some issues with some websites.

With AskMrRobot, when I go to this link, nothing shows up for me. The only way the site works for me is if I use https://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear instead.

Not sure if anyone here uses Tumblr, but with the newest update to Tumblr, I cannot post anything. Also having an issue with editing my HTML on the customize layout option. I click "edit HTML" & nothing happens.

This also happens if I try to use Internet Explorer or Firefox (both up-to-date). I do use extensions/addons, but I've tried uninstalling & disabling them, didn't work. I also tried disabling my Anti Virus (which is CA Internet Security Suite), issue persisted.

So I'm not quite sure what's going on, my fiance's computer is fine (we built ours exactly the same).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

2. Snozzberries

Sorry, was going through my imageshack account & accidentally deleted the first image.

Here it is again :p

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Javscript has nothing whatever to do with Java. Do you have any software installed to "protect" you from scripting and javascript? Sometimes people block themselves unintentionally because the companies that sell protection deem everything that they protect you from to be the worst possible danger.

Check your security software and extensions. Try another browser since Chrome renders many pages strangely or not at all.

4. Snozzberries

Not that I know of. His computer also has CA installed & his can run these websites fine.

Checked my security software...I don't see anything that would make this occur.

I just tried Firefox (I have no extensions whatsoever installed on that browser) & the same problem occurs.

Edit: Here's a list of what is currently installed on my computer, if that helps any :)

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I was able to reproduce your exact problem with Firefox by disabling JavaScript.

However, going to your HTTPS version of the site did not fix it for me. So, your JavaScript is indeed enabled but something is blocking it, like if you weren't going through port 80. You may be using an HTTP alternative from a proxy server, like perhaps 8008 or 8080, which have limited capabilities

Make sure all browsers aren't connecting through a proxy server:

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan settings > Proxy server > Advanced > delete proxy server settings > click OK > uncheck all boxes > click OK.

In Firefox, click Tools > Options... > Advanced > Network > Settings > delete proxy settings > select No proxy > click OK.

If you are indeed connecting through a proxy server and do not recall ever setting one up, I'd say your computer is probably infected. However, before concluding to an infection, you must first make sure no legitimate software on your computer has modified those LAN settings. Some ISP's also use proxy servers.

If no luck, your firewall might be causing this, but I'd doubt it. What firewall are you using? The Windows Firewall, or the one from CA?

Are you using a VPN?

6. Snozzberries

Hm, didn't realize I had both Windows & CA firewall up, but I tried with one disabled & then both disabled & it still wouldn't let me use the website in question.

Also proxy settings are not enabled on Firefox or Internet Explorer =\

& no, I'm not using a VPN.

7. Phantom010

Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking and see if it changes anything for that website.

In the Advanced Boot Options menu, be sure to select Safe Mode with Networking.

8. Snozzberries

Just got done & both websites work perfectly in safe mode. I am able to access the new Tumblr along with customizing my HTML option as well as AskMrRobot's gear optimizer.

What does this tell you?

9. Phantom010

It tells me an application running in Normal Mode is interfering with JavaScript on that website.

To try determining which one it is, run a Clean Boot troubleshooting procedure in order to isolate the offending application. Run it for both Services and Startup items.

10. Snozzberries

Okay, I was able to isolate it & apparently it's "TM Engine" from CA.

11. Phantom010

Great!

Personally, I would get rid of CA. It's not a security suite that we normally recommend here, because it's not light and there are much more effective alternatives, even free ones.

The most recommended free antivirus on TSG is Microsoft Security Essentials. Avira is another good free alternative.

12. Phantom010

If you don't mind paying a little, ESET gets my vote. (y)

13. Snozzberries

Wow really? Lol! If I knew that, we would of gotten rid of it a long time ago! Probably would of never purchased it when we got our computers built! But it was recommended by Tiger Direct (where we got them built). Saying how the Army uses it & stuff.

Well I just cancelled with them. Will be trying out MSE.

Thank you so much for your help!

Edit: I'll keep ESET in mind, need to talk to the fiance :p

14. Phantom010

You're welcome!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!