1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Joining 568-B Wiring with 568-A Wiring

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by llixgrijb, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

I'm planning on joining two ethernet cables together with a coupler in order to make one long cable. The problem is, one cable has 568-B wiring and the other has 568-A wiring. Will this kind of connection work, and if so, how will it affect the integrity of my network?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

You think using joining two cables with different wiring systems with a straight-through coupler will convert the one long cable into crossover one?

This is what I was planning to do:
    [​IMG]

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

According to that link I posted that is how you make a crossover cable, one end you terminate as a 568a, and the other end terminate as a 568b

Most newer network cards auto detect, so it may not matter anyway. The worst that can happen is the PC will not connect to the router.

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Mumbodog is right. A straight through coupler between 568 A and B cables does create a crossover cable. Your hardware may or may not detect this correctly. A safe bet would be to buy a crossover connector. It shouldn't cost more than a straight connector, and it will work whether or not your hardware autodetects the correct configuration.

6. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

On another website's forum someone gave me this reply:

"It will work. The only difference between 568A and 568b is the color code sequence for pairs 2 and 3. Since the pairs are wired alike (except for the color of wire used) and straight through, and the coupler is straight through, the result is a piin for pin extended cable. You should be sure the total cable length is under 300 feet, but I suspect that isn't much of a problem."

7. Compiler

Compiler

I've used straight-through coupler... $5~8... just plug in th cable and be done with it. Better than spending 10~30 minutes trying to wire the cables together. Or use a HUB / switch... that is sitting around.

8. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

Just got the coupler today. Works great, no perceptible lag.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!