1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Joining 568-B Wiring with 568-A Wiring

Discussion in 'Networking' started by llixgrijb, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

I'm planning on joining two ethernet cables together with a coupler in order to make one long cable. The problem is, one cable has 568-B wiring and the other has 568-A wiring. Will this kind of connection work, and if so, will it affect the integrity of my network? I doubt I will need any crossover cable; the two cables will go directly from the router to a single computer. I just want to extend the existing cable's length using a coupler and all I have available is a cable with different wiring.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Note that the only difference between the two wiring standards is the color of the pairs that are used, the twisted pairs are still on the same pins. You should see no difference and no crossover cable required. The Ethernet traffic doesn't know what color the wires are. :)

CAT5 Cable Wiring Diagram

3. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

You don't think using joining two cables with different wiring systems with a straight-through coupler will convert the one long cable into crossover one?

This is what I'm planning to do:
    [​IMG]

4. avisitor

avisitor

Nope, it'll still be a regular cable.

5. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

The end connected to the modem is 568b and the end connected to the computer is 568a. Wouldn't that in essence be a crossover cable? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

568A is a straight through wiring standard and 568 B is a straightthrough wiring standard. The only difference is different pair combinations as far as coloring. Crossover should be labled crossover or x-over somewhere on the cable if it is one and THEN you would have an issue. As stated 2 other times prior - your good providing all thei nformation supplied is correct. Also it won't hurt anything to hook it all up and power it on and see for yourself.

7. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for the advice. When I go out to buy the coupler I tell you how it goes.

8. llixgrijb

llixgrijb Thread Starter

Just got the coupler today. Works great, no perceptible lag.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice