Solved: JRE error pop-up box

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pcguy9441

can someone tell me how to get rid of this pop-up box "missing JRE" error?. See attachment. Started after I uninstalled Java. Don't need/want Java.

thanks

Attachments

pcguy9441

ok, but what if don't want Java because of this maleware thing? plus now that I know why it exists, I don't need it/don't use it.

I uninstalled it on purpose. I deleted a few references in the registry and ran ccleaner regcleaner, and that may have fixed it (removed error popup). about to reboot to confirm.

dai

[ran ccleaner regcleaner]= bad move

you would be surprised how often you use it without realising it

take some of the doom sayers with a pinch of salt

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
The latest version of Java is still installed on my computer. Some apps need Java to run properly. However, I've disabled the plugin in my browsers. When encountering one of the websites requiring Java, I simply enable the plugin for that website only, if I absolutely need it.

To disable Java, go to your computer's Control Panel. Look for the Java icon. Click it and select the Security tab. Untick "Enable Java content in the browser".

pcguy9441

Thanks for all the feedback. have read Bob Rankin's article.

I do run reg cleaners with considerable trepidation, but have actually never had it mess up anything with Win7. The old Dell version of System Mechanic (discontinued) did bring an XP laptop back from the dead.

I'll probably do a fresh/clean Java install and just disable it as required.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
System Mechanic is among the worst ones. I've seen quite a few messed up computers here because of it.

You should avoid Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities... This type of software will do a lot more harm than good, and should only be used by advanced users who really know their way around the registry. Most members coming here with WEIRD symptoms had their computer messed up by malware and/or registry cleaners. These utilities do not only remove what "they think" are orphan entries in the registry but legitimate files still in use will be deleted in the process, crippling some programs and Windows applications beyond repair.

Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows install! In itself, this should be enough to convince non-believers...

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Registry_Cleaners

Why I Don’t Use Registry Cleaners

Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools

Do I Need a Windows Registry Cleaner?

pcguy9441

Yeah, I think that's sage advice. Just because someone can package software in a glitzy box and craft a fancy website does not necessarily mean you need the product. Someone is always trying to separate us from our $$$.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online