1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: just bought a dell latitude x300..need help asap

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by starrs, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starrs

starrs Thread Starter

hello i just bought my daughter a computer a dell x300 it was working great..until she downloaded a program..i end up deleteing it...i was told to do a system restore..everytime i go to restore it..it freezes..I have tried to go threw accesseries and tools than to restore and boom its frozen..so is there away to do it as i boot up..i tried f8...ctl-f11..it just makes a loud beep and boots up..please help..i will try anything..ive been trying to fix this computer for hours..thanks..

2. starrs

starrs Thread Starter

im sorry i have tried booting it up and trying a restore..threw f8 and f11 and nothing..i cant do anything on this computer with out it freezing..

3. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    I'm moving this to the XP forum..

4. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Try tapping F8 continuously as it boots to see if it will get into 'safe mode'.

5. raybro

raybro

I suggest you consult your Dell Users guide (download here if you don't have it) and go to the "Using Dell Diagnostics". In there you will find a procedure to have the built in diagnostics utility take a look at your system. I suggest a hard copy of the Guide would be best.

Raybro

6. starrs

starrs Thread Starter

thanks guys for getting back to me..the tapping f8 worked..it is restoring..if i dont have any luck i will also try the next step..
    This is a great site...keep up the good work..and ill be back if i need anymore help..i have 3 laptops and purchasing another next week..THANK YOU!!!!

7. raybro

raybro

Not quite sure how tapping F8 gets you into restoring unless you can access a XP Restore Point in Safe Mode that way. Never tried it.

In any event, let us know how things work out for you..... Raybro

8. vicks

vicks

Tapping the F8 key should open the safe mode. I would suggest that if you still have trouble, restart again with tapping the F8 key continously while booting. If safe mode opens, use the arrow keys to move up to 'last known good configuration' option, click on enter and let the computer do it's thing.
    I would encourage you to be sure you have an updated (1 only) anti virus, and a couple of anti-spyware programs along with one firewall. Also caution your daughter about d/l programs.
    Vicks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice