1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Just Wondering

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spicefamily, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spicefamily

spicefamily Thread Starter

I was reading some of the questions in Windows XP and I came on the question of regcleaning. I read it and the replies, and one expert said "Easy Cleaner". Techguy mostly avices to use this program.

So I went to this program, and it has this other program that is called "RegRepair". This will fix your PC, and avoid reformatting your hard drive, with this utility.

My computer is Win XP and I am trying to clean it up.

Has anyone heard of program? Is it ok or not?

Thx

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

My response would be "why do you need to clean the registry", as a starting point. While I have used and maintained PC's since the early 1980's, (but "Registries" have only been around since about 1995) I think in that time I have used one only twice to uninstall some poorly written installed code.

Unless you do a lot of installing/uninstalling of poorly written software, there should be no compelling reason to use a registry cleaner. Even when using one is a prudent idea, you need to exercise a degree of caution, and have a reasonable understanding of just what should or should not be removed.

Its not unusual to be lucky and not remove anything important by accepting the default deletions, but then again it's also not unusual for it to cripple the PC either. Some people make a good living repairing the resuling damage to the system files ...

So, back to the first point, do you feel its essential to run one, and why?

3. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

I would agree kiwiguy. I have never, and dont intend use reg cleaner. I remove entries myself, because i know what to remove and what not to remove. Some cleaners you dont know what they remove and what they dont remove.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I have been doing computer repair and building since around 1978 and have found one thing, if you are going to clean your computer and want to start messing with the registry you are asking to do a full re-install of Windows. I can not tell you how many time I crashed my work computer downstairs just learning about it. If you want to continue working on the registry I suggest backing up all of your data just to keep it safe. As a matter of fact get Acronis True Image and an external hard drive for the image. You will need it.

If the computer is working and not messing up it is the best computer in the world.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well I need to jump in here with one oif my favorite remarks:
    If you have a sever need of cleaning something start with your kitchen and leave the registry alone. It is the heart or guts of the system, and ewxperienced users tread carefully in there, but if you can ask such a question, then you are not one of those. Just remeber wrong wrong move and as ozrom1e says, you will winfd up losing all you have on the drive, and reformatting besides. Stay out of the registry and away from such programs.
    I love Power Tools fom jvc and only one time used the cleaner function in 12 years, and hosed my entire system removing "safe entries". Now I can be back to where I left off with every file replaced up to the minute in 8 minutes, can you?

6. spicefamily

spicefamily Thread Starter

Thx Guys You save me a lot of work

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice